Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Irrational ammunition sizes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Metric calibers vary from one nation to the other. Metrics maybe based on any number of internal barrel demensions. Some metric calibers reflect the first boreing of a new barrel or groove demension etc. There are many names applied to Ctgs. The 9X19 or 9MM Parabellum AKA 9MM Lugar may be chambered in any kind of firearm rifle or pistol. Bottom line, it takes years to learn and understand ammunition there are no shortcuts. If you study ammo all you can for 50 years you will not yet have a working knowledge of world Crtgs.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8384 Times on 3628 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Trez- originally, the cartridge was the S&W .38 Special- anyone that made guns that shot it put that name on their gun. This hacked off Colt to no end (same company that owned the name to the .45 Automatic Colt Pistol cartridge- .45 ACP) so...... Colt began making and selling the .38 Colt Special cartridge. Identical to the S&W in every way- except Colt had a flat tipped bullet in theirs, S&W had a round nosed. I have ONE Colt marked cartridge. But after that, Colt did not have to mark their .38 Specials with S&W.

Also, remember that at one time, cartridges had "heel seated" bullets. Like the .22LR, the case was crimped to the "heel" or base of the bullet. That was fine for outside lubed bullets- but inside lubed bullets fitted down inside the case. Heel seated bullets were same diameter as the case- but the newer bullets were smaller than the case.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8384 Times on 3628 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
I dont have a Luger, why do I have to shoot "Luger" bullets?
Actually, you don't. The proper name is 9mm Parabellum, but Lugers were sexy, the name caught on, and is even used by ammo makers. But the NAME is Parabellum.

And we also had the .25 caliber auto pistol catridge- created by John Browning- but known as .25 Auto. And the .50 BMG- Browning Machine Gun- even if you are shooting a Barret that is not a Browning nor a machine gun.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6743 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

I gave up trying to figure out 'calibers' and concentrate only on what my guns shoot. It was driving me nuts I couldn't figure this all out. I've eased up on myself since then.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I'm new to guns this cartridge talk is confusing me

Old 04-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #16
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1610 Times on 841 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugers9 View Post
I'm new to guns this cartridge talk is confusing me
I found this site instructive:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/

Old 04-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #17

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

A very good place to start is, Cartridges Of the world. This is a very good book and will cover most of your questions on ammo.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #18

Liked 692 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 705

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Actually, you don't. The proper name is 9mm Parabellum, but Lugers were sexy, the name caught on, and is even used by ammo makers. But the NAME is Parabellum.

And we also had the .25 caliber auto pistol catridge- created by John Browning- but known as .25 Auto. And the .50 BMG- Browning Machine Gun- even if you are shooting a Barret that is not a Browning nor a machine gun.
99% of the 9x19 brass I see is marked "9mm Luger" Its hard to find any thats marked with "9x19" or "9mm Para" Why is the majority still marked Luger when the majority of the guns that shoot it arnt Lugers? Same with the .30-40.. I dont think you can even get ".30 USA" brass anymore its all marked with "Krag"

Why is there no 7.62 Mosin? or 7.62 Simonov?

Although I did find some .30-06 the other day that was marked ".30-G-M1906" See? Why cant more manufactures mark their brass with the "real" caliber name?

Last edited by Trez; 04-02-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #19

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Trez, an older and wiser man used to tell me, "If the world made sense, men would ride sidesaddle."

9mm Luger is from the time - long ago but in my memory - when about the only pistol that fired the round was the "German Luger", largely in pistols brought back from the war by participants. Yes, the Browning High Power was in existence, but it wasn't all that common in the U. S. until the late 50s to middle 60s. So nearly all the manufacturers marked that ammo as "9mm Luger". And they still do.

The proper title for the .45 Automatic round is ".45 Automatic Colt Pistol". However, everybody and everybody's dog makes a semi-auto pistol these days chambered for that round. So many makers stamp them ".45 Auto".

If you do not have a copy of Cartridges of the World, get one. (I think the latest edition is #12.) Just the historical information is worth the price. And it either explains or implies some of the reasons cartridges are so named. Some of it is political. Some of it is marketing. Some of it is ego. Some of it is actually informational.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/