Inexhaustible supply of brass?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Inexhaustible supply of brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1899 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 1439

Default Inexhaustible supply of energy & brass?

What happens to all the cartridges fired in our wars? In all the past wars? There must be a pound or two of brass laying around. Is there an inexhaustible supply of brass? I'm wondering because it seems like an awful lot of energy, what with all that mining, transporting, smelting, alloying, etc., to expend for literally just one shot.

Last edited by Vincine; 10-09-2011 at 04:26 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #2

Liked 9208 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Swing on over to Fallujah on your way to Wal-Mart and pick up a couple bucketfuls for all of us.

I heard the brass expended in training is melted down to make new brass. I've used the ammo, and it doesn't look fresh at all to me. There are a few training areas where the brass isn't policed, if you can some how gain access to those areas, knock yourself out.

Tip: The M249 SAW puts a nice little dent in the case mouth. I would just skip those lying in a pile of links.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9765 Times on 4202 Posts
Likes Given: 1537

US Military brass is not reloaded, but sold as surplus. Much of it DOES get melted. Some is purchased by civilian reloading firms. There was a big hoo-hah about a year ago when DOD decided it would not sell to reloaders- and then canceled that order.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:24 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6201 Times on 3265 Posts
Likes Given: 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Tip: The M249 SAW puts a nice little dent in the case mouth. I would just skip those lying in a pile of links.
the dents come out easy when the mouth and neck are resized. long as there is enough room to get the expander balls in the mouth.

when your shooting ammo in the army they cycle out the oldest ammo in inventory. they even issue old ammo for war use. snipers in iraq using the barrets are often using surplus 50bmg from ww2.

you prolly wont be using the new production stuff less your like a seal team member or something.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-09-2011, 04:23 AM   #5

Liked 9208 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the dents come out easy when the mouth and neck are resized. long as there is enough room to get the expander balls in the mouth.

when your shooting ammo in the army they cycle out the oldest ammo in inventory. they even issue old ammo for war use. snipers in iraq using the barrets are often using surplus 50bmg from ww2.

you prolly wont be using the new production stuff less your like a seal team member or something.
I don't know if there's enough room for an expander ball, I don't reload. I shoot a Mosin Nagant; nuff said.

But if it's a training area where the brass isn't policed, there would be plenty from M16's that wouldn't take too much work anyway.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:46 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6201 Times on 3265 Posts
Likes Given: 448

The problem with brass thats been on the groumd a while is they get packed with dirt and crud that tend to turn to a cement like substance. Nearly impossible to clean out.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-09-2011, 04:52 AM   #7

Liked 1899 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The problem with brass thats been on the groumd a while is they get packed with dirt and crud that tend to turn to a cement like substance. Nearly impossible to clean out.
Throw it back in the smelter?

Old 10-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, I think he just means it makes reloading difficult as it requires manual cleaning of the cases (and tedious task of disking into it with a pick or whatever, heh).

Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #9

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can find some pricy Military shot once brass here -> Shop Brass | Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet

Old 10-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9765 Times on 4202 Posts
Likes Given: 1537

I would humbly point out that TRAINING areas will be littered with 5.56mm BLANK cartridge cases, which cannot be reloaded with ball. Military RANGES account for brass at turn in (end of the days training, brass gets turned back to the Ammo Supply Point) And if you are found on a military RANGE scarfing up brass and perhaps the odd unfired round, you would get a chance to met these nize peebles-

mp2.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.