Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Inconsistant Case length (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/inconsistant-case-length-86156/)

Tenderribbs 03-09-2013 07:02 PM

Inconsistant Case length

When I'm trimming my cases some will need it and some are well short of needing trimmed. When your setting your bullet the OAL is going to be affected by these inconsistent case lengths meaning if I want the same exact length on all the rounds I have to reset the bullet setter die every time right? Or am I doing something wrong ? Thanks

locutus 03-09-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenderribbs (Post 1170034)
When I'm trimming my cases some will need it and some are well short of needing trimmed. When your setting your bullet the OAL is going to be affected by these inconsistent case lengths meaning if I want the same exact length on all the rounds I have to reset the bullet setter die every time right? Or am I doing something wrong ? Thanks

Leave the seating stem alone and COAL will be the same.
Case length does not effect COAL.

tri70 03-09-2013 07:44 PM

I had some 223 that will vary in COL with Hornady seating die if I did I not trim to length on the brass. I was loading 55 gr Nosler Combined Tech bullets.

Tenderribbs 03-09-2013 08:54 PM

Ok why then am I getting different COAL almost every time ?

locutus 03-09-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenderribbs (Post 1170148)
Ok why then am I getting different COAL almost every time ?

Your bullets will vary in length. Measure them. If you're really anal about seating depth, you need a comparator ** to measure depth. Actual COAL can vary with the same seating depth..

Case length will not effect COAL. There has to be another factor in play.

If it bothers you, trim them all to the length of the shortest case. That's unnecessary, but it makes some folks happy.

** www.sinclairintl.com

Click on reloadiong tools and measuring equipment.

Tenderribbs 03-09-2013 09:33 PM

Something else I did was to load using the same station on my progressive press that seemed to help keep them closer to COAL .

racer_x 03-09-2013 10:46 PM

Am I thinking wrong?
It will effect how far the bullet is seated in the case witch in turn will effect preasure, granted mayb not enough to notice

locutus 03-10-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_x (Post 1170235)
Am I thinking wrong?
It will effect how far the bullet is seated in the case witch in turn will effect preasure, granted mayb not enough to notice

No. The bullet will not be seated as deeply in the shorter case.

As long as CAOL is constant, the powder capacity of the case is unchanged.

racer_x 03-10-2013 06:46 PM

Thx locutus, thats what I was thinking.

robocop10mm 03-11-2013 12:18 PM

The difference between max length and trim length is .010". I trim everything to trim length. COAL has little to do with case length. Bullet profile will cause soem variance. Not every bullet is EXACTLY the same. Slight variantions in ogive will cause slight COAL variations.