Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > I'm gonna start reloading and I need help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I'm gonna start reloading and I need help.

I want to start reloading ammo but I don't know what to get and don't want to buy a reloading book. I'm thinking of getting a reloading kit by lee ( Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit ) what else do I need?

you arent ready to live until your ready to die

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Lee makes some good reloaders and dies for just about everything you want to reload ,but do your self a favor and buy some reloading books .I've been loading for a long time and have about 10 different books .

Old 11-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #3

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

First step is to buy at least one book. You could do an internet search to see if there is any free book downloads. Or look in used book stores, etc. Even if you find older books thats fine as reloading now is basically the same as 40 years ago.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16838 Times on 9758 Posts
Likes Given: 43908

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00possum View Post
I want to start reloading ammo but I don't know what to get and don't want to buy a reloading book. I'm thinking of getting a reloading kit by lee ( Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit ) what else do I need?
sorry possum, that makes no sense. you want to get into reloading, but don't want to buy a reloading book. i have many reloading and reference books on reloading. bought several books before i even owned any reloading equipment. the books should be the first thing you ever buy. helps you buy without getting a bunch of things you don't need to have to begin reloading. my advise, buy a few books on reloading, read them several times, then come back here with some informed questions. reloading can be very safe if properly done, but can be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, buy the books first!

Old 11-27-2011, 03:32 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Not buying a quality reloading manual is one of the most dangerous and irresponsible things you can do on this planet. You are embarking on a venture that will lead to ammunition that is set off inches from your face and has pressures potentially in excess of 50,000 psi.

If you are not fond of your face, eyesight, fingers, etc. go ahead

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-27-2011, 03:48 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16838 Times on 9758 Posts
Likes Given: 43908

what robo is saying is very true. another point to consider, don't experiment or deviate from the load data books. there is a very good reason, the loads listed work, the bullet makers, primer makers, case makers and the powder makers have proven this data. let them do the experimenting, they have specialized equipment to test these components. also follow all the safety precautions and guidelines, they are there for a reason, to keep you safe. reloading can be very rewarding and fun and a great companion to collecting and shooting guns. if you pay attention, follow safe reloading procedures, it is very safe, but let your guard down and being careless around it, it can be very dangerous and deadly.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:12 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 684 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1019

ABC's of Reloading and 2nd edition of of Lee's reloading manual you can buy used for about $15 each. They have info that is essential to reloading. The bottom line is research before you load a round.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4721 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

IME, the Lyman reloading manual is by far the best for the new reloader just starting out.

Then get the Hodgdon, Hornady and Speer, and you're all set!

Old 06-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #9

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Translation:

Hi, I want to make small highly volatile, very dangerous, and highly explosive devices but I don't feel the need to read, learn or study them. Can you help me?

Last edited by AgentTikki; 06-30-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7563 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Just asking.......

If anything happens, can I have your guns?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.