Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   I'm gonna start reloading and I need help. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/im-gonna-start-reloading-i-need-help-52474/)

00possum 11-26-2011 08:40 PM

I'm gonna start reloading and I need help.

I want to start reloading ammo but I don't know what to get and don't want to buy a reloading book. I'm thinking of getting a reloading kit by lee ( Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit ) what else do I need?:confused:

44ablast 11-26-2011 08:49 PM

Lee makes some good reloaders and dies for just about everything you want to reload ,but do your self a favor and buy some reloading books .I've been loading for a long time and have about 10 different books .

hiwall 11-27-2011 12:04 AM

First step is to buy at least one book. You could do an internet search to see if there is any free book downloads. Or look in used book stores, etc. Even if you find older books thats fine as reloading now is basically the same as 40 years ago.

Axxe55 11-27-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00possum (Post 636380)
I want to start reloading ammo but I don't know what to get and don't want to buy a reloading book. I'm thinking of getting a reloading kit by lee ( Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit ) what else do I need?:confused:

sorry possum, that makes no sense. you want to get into reloading, but don't want to buy a reloading book. i have many reloading and reference books on reloading. bought several books before i even owned any reloading equipment. the books should be the first thing you ever buy. helps you buy without getting a bunch of things you don't need to have to begin reloading. my advise, buy a few books on reloading, read them several times, then come back here with some informed questions. reloading can be very safe if properly done, but can be very dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, buy the books first!

robocop10mm 11-27-2011 03:32 AM

Not buying a quality reloading manual is one of the most dangerous and irresponsible things you can do on this planet. You are embarking on a venture that will lead to ammunition that is set off inches from your face and has pressures potentially in excess of 50,000 psi.

If you are not fond of your face, eyesight, fingers, etc. go ahead

Axxe55 11-27-2011 03:48 AM

what robo is saying is very true. another point to consider, don't experiment or deviate from the load data books. there is a very good reason, the loads listed work, the bullet makers, primer makers, case makers and the powder makers have proven this data. let them do the experimenting, they have specialized equipment to test these components. also follow all the safety precautions and guidelines, they are there for a reason, to keep you safe. reloading can be very rewarding and fun and a great companion to collecting and shooting guns. if you pay attention, follow safe reloading procedures, it is very safe, but let your guard down and being careless around it, it can be very dangerous and deadly.

beaglesam 06-30-2012 03:12 AM

ABC's of Reloading and 2nd edition of of Lee's reloading manual you can buy used for about $15 each. They have info that is essential to reloading. The bottom line is research before you load a round.

locutus 06-30-2012 03:13 PM

IME, the Lyman reloading manual is by far the best for the new reloader just starting out.

Then get the Hodgdon, Hornady and Speer, and you're all set!:p

AgentTikki 06-30-2012 03:55 PM

Translation:

Hi, I want to make small highly volatile, very dangerous, and highly explosive devices but I don't feel the need to read, learn or study them. Can you help me?

c3shooter 06-30-2012 04:20 PM

Just asking.......

If anything happens, can I have your guns? :rolleyes: