Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Identify this shell, please. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/identify-shell-please-29653/)

NLAlston 07-25-2010 01:09 AM

Identify this shell, please.

1 Attachment(s)
This photo represents some of the ammo that I came about, in the aftermath of my father-in-law's passing. I have never seen this type of shell before, and would like to know what it is. I can only assume, at this point, that it is a cheap type of bullet that is mainly used for target practicing. Stamped on the bottom of the casing is 'Western/38 Special'.

Advanced thanks.

patret 07-25-2010 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLAlston (Post 319877)
This photo represents some of the ammo that I came about, in the aftermath of my father-in-law's passing. I have never seen this type of shell before, and would like to know what it is. I can only assume, at this point, that it is a cheap type of bullet that is mainly used for target practicing. Stamped on the bottom of the casing is 'Western/38 Special'.

Advanced thanks.

That is a .38 special wad cutter probably with 2.7 grns. bullseye with a 148 gr. bullet

Patret

30-30remchester 07-25-2010 03:20 AM

PATRET is correct in bullet type. However the photo you posted is obviously a reloaded round so about any powder charge could be used. The 2.7 grains of Bullseye is the most used load. The square shoulders of the bullet cuts a clean hole in the paper target thus making it easier to score.

NLAlston 07-25-2010 03:33 AM

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

robocop10mm 07-26-2010 05:56 PM

Is the case steel? It does not appear to be brass or nickle plated brass. WWII vintage ammo was often steel cased because of the brass shortage. Definately a wadcutter bullet.

It looks like there is a hole in the side of the case. It may be a dummy round.

gandog56 07-26-2010 08:44 PM

I like wadcutters. Very very cheap to reload, and they leave such perfect round holes in the targets with no tears. I probably fire 3 boxes of .38 special wadcutters for every box of full throttle .357 mag in my revolver just so I can afford the practice.

Josey Wales '94 08-04-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLAlston (Post 319877)

Advanced thanks.

Its really not the type of shell, its the type of bullet used, you even identified the casing, 38 Special. As said its a wadcutter, and we use semi-wadcutters for .45 LC. They work pretty well.

c3shooter 08-05-2010 01:04 AM

Reloaded .38 Special Wadcutter, nickeled cartridge case. Target cartridge- as name implies, wadcutter clips neat, even hole in paper target like a hole punch (easy to score- no torn paper). Reloaded? Note the vertical lines on the case? Sizing die does that when reloading the cartridge. Low recoil target load, probably 144 gr or 148 gr bullet.