Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > I want to start reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default I want to start reloading

OK im sure this has been on here a thousand dimes and ive be doing some research and reading on here for the last 2 weeks but am just so overwelmed by everything.

I want to start reloading for my AR-15, and 40 S&W to try and save some money. I average shooting around 5,000-7,000 rounds a year total so if i can cut the cost down any it would help. Even if im only saving $0.10 a round thats still over $500 a year.

OK so now that you all know what im going to be doing what all am i going to need to buy to start. Ive seen so many different presses, measurers, tumblers, and everything else i cant figure out what is good and whats not.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #2

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

I would start with a book. That will give you a good idea of where to start. You shoud take some time and read through it. It is not as simple as a lot of people make it sound.

Once you have your book, and read it...I would start with a Single stage or a Turret Press. I use an RCBS single stage for both my AR and my 40 stuff. I have a progressive. But I only use it for my .45acp. I have a Lee PRO 1000 progressive. I do not recomend it. I am very good mechanically. If I wasn't, it would be worthless.

RCBS makes great dies...so does everyone else too. Lee is the cheapest. I have many different dies from many different makers. Doesnt seem to make a difference to me. They all work ok.

I use an RCBS powder measure. It is worth the money. Don't be afraid to buy one. I also use their balance beam scale. I have the RCBS Rock Chucker Press. All of my equipment i got new about 3 years ago. I use the crap out of it. I have tens of thousands of rounds loaded in ammo cans out in my garage. I load close to twenty calibers. They all take a little time to learn. Everything I own I am happy with. The only thing I would relace is the progressive. But a good one is very expensive.

I can't stress the importance of a book enough. Dont be one of those guys that tries to look stuff up on the interent without using a book. There are a lot of stupid people out there trying to give advice. Hodgdon.com is a great site to get formulas from. But I have at least 4 books that I can think of and a bunch of paperback stuff that I am always refering back too.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yea i know i need the book. I really just need to know what is good equiptment and whats not and also what im going to need to get myself going which you covered. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #4

Liked 138 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I would think if you shoot that much per year you need a progressive press. check this out http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23594/catid/1/RL_550B.

This would take care of the press but you'd still need case prep tools, dies, conversion kit for .40 and misc tools

Dan308
www.dtknives.com

Old 04-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20910 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retaks View Post
Yea i know i need the book. I really just need to know what is good equiptment and whats not and also what im going to need to get myself going which you covered. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan308 View Post
I would think if you shoot that much per year you need a progressive press. check this out http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23594/catid/1/RL_550B.

This would take care of the press but you'd still need case prep tools, dies, conversion kit for .40 and misc tools
a good book that you can usually find at Amazon.com is "The ABC's of Reloading" not very expensive and has lots of information useful for the beginner. information on where and how to put up your equipment, how and what to select, case preparation, how to reload, lots of safety information. very good book. another good one is Lee's Modern Reloading, a load data book from Lee, has lots of information on how to reload for the beginner, also comes with the reloading kits they sell or can be bought seperately.

i think if he is new, that he nneds to start with a single stage first and learn the basics of reloading before just starting with a progressive. i think starting with a progressive for a beginner would compound beginners mistakes when learning how to reload. i like a single stage for a first press for learning, because it makes you stop and think and do only one stage of the reloading at a time, and makes you think about every step before going to the next one. safety in reloading is the key here.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #6

Liked 2357 Times on 1054 Posts
Likes Given: 2263

Why does everybody say that you need to start with a single stage press? If you are going to load that much ammo just get the progressive and load one round at a time until you get used to the machine. Loading on a progressive is no more difficult than loading on a single stage press. In fact there is less handling of the cartridges and less of a chance of double charging.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #7

Liked 138 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

my thought was the 7000+ rounds. With a single stage he'll spend half his life reloading. When I reload for accuracy, I basically use my Dillion like a single stage. Doing 1 or 2 steps at a time. I only go progressive mode when loading 9mm. I mean, just plinker and defence loads anyway. I tend to think invest once and learn to use it right.

Dan308
www.dtknives.com

Old 04-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

If you have the money for a dillon then you can afford to buy a challenger kit first and learn how to do it safe. The problem with starting on a progressive press is if you don't understand what's all happening it's very easy to get mental overload as a beginner. I've seen it with a couple of my friends. After they hang out and try my stuff they think "oh that's simple" and go buy a loadmaster. Then when something goes wrong on the press they don't even know where to look because they don't get it. At the worst your out a hundred bucks to learn how to do it right and you'll have an extra single stage to work up loads on. Above all be safe. :-)

Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20910 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan308 View Post
my thought was the 7000+ rounds. With a single stage he'll spend half his life reloading. When I reload for accuracy, I basically use my Dillion like a single stage. Doing 1 or 2 steps at a time. I only go progressive mode when loading 9mm. I mean, just plinker and defence loads anyway. I tend to think invest once and learn to use it right.
i read that too. IMO. if he is a beginner, then learning on a single stage to learn the basics just seems to me to make better sense. personally i would always recommend a single stage to a beginner. i have been reloading for a few years now, and i am wanting to move up to either a turret or progressive for my pistol calibers. just because i want to load more ammo faster than my single stage can do. i will continue with my single stage for my centerfire rifle calibers, but might start using a progressive for my 223 ammo also. i know some people start with a progressive press, but it would not be my suggestion for a beginner.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Dillons progressive - I went w square Deal B w is pistol only - I would go universal or rifle capacity as well. Great customer service.