I want to reload - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > I want to reload

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well the reason I wanted to reload is because I don't have much money. But it looks like it's going to cost more to reload than to drive 30 miles to get the factory loads...maybe I'll hold off for a while. I have confidence in my ability to be meticulous enough to get it done but I still don't want to be the guy with the Mak slide in his skull. I appreciate everyones input. What would you guys suggest a good load to start off with? 12 gauge?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:28 AM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
If you want to load a bunch of qualitiy rounds quickly, you can't beat the Dillon Square Deal--it's little more expensive, but comes with all dies, etc you need and you will spend a lot less time on the reloading bench and a lot more time shooting. And their customer service is the best in the industry.
I've used a Square Deal for years now. The dies are different than for their other presses but if all you are going to do are pistol rounds than it's the best out there. you can change from one to another caliber fast and you can't beat the guarantee.

Yeah it's a bit pricey at first because you are starting from nothing. but once set up your cost per round can get real low. I look for deals on components then buy all I can looking down the road. And another plus to reloading is you can make a load that your weapon likes best.

There are less expensive presses out there. Lee makes a couple that are more affordable. Where you will not want to scrimp is things like a powder scale, caliper and the like. No matter what you're using you want to be able to check your work.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 06-09-2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: spelling....again...

Old 06-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #13

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I too am of the thinking that the 380 auto 9mm Kurz is no good for starting out on. 9mm or 45acp or even a 40 smith would be much better.

there are simply much better calibers to start with.

Plus if you don't have much money to buy ammo your not going to even come close to having enough money to start reloading. Reloading has a high start up cost unless you start really young and get a bunch of hand me down equipment like I did.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

your best bet would be to find a member in your local area and have them show/teach you how.I have helped several friends get started in reloading and casting their own bullets.
pete

life member DAV.
"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."

Old 06-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #15

when i was 15 my dad bought me a lee classic loader for 270 win. i reloaded hundreds of rounds with that thing. I had no idea how to reload it was easy but it only neck sized the cases. i reloaded my case until they would grow and would not chamber any moor didnt know they could be trimmed. The powder dipper work great for what it was i loaded 4350 IRM powder. But as Big001 said the 380 auto and even the 9mm are not very forgiving and i would also till you to stay clear from these rounds to start with. But as far as the lee classic loader man i had fun and i shot a lot. I now reload with a Dillon 550 and i still shoot a lot.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:46 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1588 View Post
so if i buy one of these

Lee Classic Loader

and a set of .380 dies I should have everything?
I don't think that you'll like one of those. IF it's the right size, you will spend much more time reloading than shooting and with poorer results.

Buy a good press, and die set (I recommend RBCS), also a good powder scale and maybe a tumbler and you'll be all set for years to come. You can also easily switch to other calibers with minimal expense.

You may end up spending $150-200, but you'll be glad you did.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you are thinking of the Lee handloader. I am wanting to reload too but live in a apartment and don't have a bench. i've seen it on cabela's website but not at their stores. You may have to buy it online.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy89 View Post
I think you are thinking of the Lee handloader. I am wanting to reload too but live in a apartment and don't have a bench. i've seen it on cabela's website but not at their stores. You may have to buy it online.
If your pressed for room don't let it stop you from reloading , my setup is mounted to a simple work bench that the sell at Home Depot for about $30 or thats what I paid for it 5-6 years ago then all you need is some room in a closet to store a few boxes of all the other things like Brass , Powder etc .

The only way safety is a concern is if you smoke and then simply stay away from your powder while doing so and you're OK .

For an extra degree in safety just get a Metal Gun Cabinet like this Cabela's -- Stack-On 18-Gun Cabinet and it will keep things away from the kids or guests in your home .

Old 06-12-2010, 02:26 AM   #19

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Lee Loader not listed in .380 in that add...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1588 View Post
so if i buy one of these

Lee Classic Loader

and a set of .380 dies I should have everything?
Your FIRST investment should be a good reloading handbook-The ABC"s of Reloading, and the Lyman Manual are both good ones.
When you are that new at reloading, you need to read up on the basics..

NRA Life MEMBER 1976