I want to reload
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > I want to reload

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I want to reload

I want to get started reloading my 380 auto brass because it is simply too expensive and too hard to find where I am and I never have enough ammo for practice. My question is (I can't seem to find the small inexpensive lee loader kit in 380!!!) what do I need to get started the cheapest and easiest way possible. This is going to be the ONLY caliber I am reloading so I need the simplest equipment possible that will get the job done. Any input appreciated! Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Check with several places such as Cabela's, Bass Pro, local firearms dealers, etc. Usually kits come with everything you need except the dies which you purchase separately. Check out the Lee, Hornady, RBCS, and other reloading websites to find the best deal with the highest quality.

"When in doubt [use] C4." -Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)

Old 06-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #3

The Lee 35th anniversary kit from Midwayusa is the best in my opinion. It is easy to use for beginners. I use Lee dies also, they come with the shell holder. I bought this twelve years ago, it has paid for itself MANY times over ! I am on a tight budget also, I like to reload. I do it everytime I get done shooting. When it's raining outside, or if I am just bored. I have thousands of rounds for each caliber that I have . I could not afford to buy factory plinking ammo either, especially now.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you want to load a bunch of qualitiy rounds quickly, you can't beat the Dillon Square Deal--it's little more expensive, but comes with all dies, etc you need and you will spend a lot less time on the reloading bench and a lot more time shooting. And their customer service is the best in the industry.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 06-08-2010, 08:11 PM   #5

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon View Post
When it's raining outside, or if I am just bored.
Man, in Portland, Oregon if I went out and reloaded during rain storms I'd have 10,000 rounds by now.

MidwayUSA here I come! (And click on NRA Roundup!!)

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so if i buy one of these

Lee Classic Loader

and a set of .380 dies I should have everything?

Old 06-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #7

I don't know, I have never seen one of these. I do not see a powder dispenser,a weight scale, a press, or a hand primer. It also says "rifle". Try Midwayusa product # 423081 it is about $95.00 but they go on sale often for $50 - $ 60 .,this will have all that you need but the dies and some liquid case cleaner. You will still need to buy bullets, primers, and powder. It usually takes about $ 250 - $ 300 to get started unless you find a used kit from somebody. Be carefull about what you get, some of the kits are old and harder to figure out.

Last edited by shannon; 06-08-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1588 View Post
so if i buy one of these

Lee Classic Loader

Cabela's -- Lee Breech Lock Challenger Reloading Press, Kit and Quick Change Bushings

This would be better.

Or this.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20728-cat20847&id=0003080216577a&navCount=13&podId=00030 80&parentId=cat20847&masterpathid=&navAction=push& catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat60 1233&hasJS=true

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

on the cheap.

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit - MidwayUSA

Lee Carbide 3-Die Set 380 ACP - MidwayUSA

Reloading .380 Auto (9mm Kurz) Page

life member DAV.
"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."

Old 06-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1588 View Post
so if i buy one of these

Lee Classic Loader

Not even close !!

I am afraid that after years on Gun Forums and answering dozens of posts like yours , you will be the first person I discourage from reloading . The reason for this is out of concern for your safety .

Unlike most peope who start reloading you have chosen one of the worst calibers to reload and certainly one that NO ONE should start out on !!

The reason for this is the limited case capacity of the small cased .380 round and secondly the small mistakes that every new reloader makes could get you killed with an overpressure load . With Winchester 231 which is one of the best Powders for pistol rounds you have a very small margin of error of only 3 tenths of a grain of powder between a starting load and a maximum one 2.9-3.2 according to the powder chart Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com .

Usually people who load for most rounds do so with a higher case capacity and if they make a small error in the charge they are perfectly safe because there is a difference between these two factors of a grain or more .

If you insist on reloading for this round and starting out on it you MUST HAVE a good powder scale , powder measure /dispensor , set of calipers
to measure the overall length of your finished rounds and of course a major brand Reloading Manual to learn and understand what you're doing B4 starting .
It is very important to have Calipers and measure your finished rounds because if you seat the bullet too far in the case it will shoot the pressure sky high and turn even a safe load into an unsafe one very quickly .

If your looking to start reloading on a budget you realy should go and buy a snubby 38 Special for CCW/protection because it is a much safe round to start out reloading on and small mistakes can be gotten away with safely .

I implore you to NOT start out reloading with this caliper and if you do heed all of the warnings I have given you because the last thing the Sport of Shooting needs is to have a Televised National news Story about some guy who killed himself with his reloads driving a pistol slide through his brain blowing his gun up !

One more thing I normally suggest using the Lee dippers for new folks and started that way myself I reloaded for years safely and never even owned a powder scale , however with the smallest dipper they make it measures to the Maximum load or above with the powders that you would use and NOT even an expierence reloader should start out at the maximum listed loads for any combination of bullet , powder you can check this out for free at Lees site in the instruction section and click on the link for the dippers and a measure chart will open .http://www.leeprecision.com/html/instruct/index.html

Last edited by BigO01; 06-08-2010 at 10:23 PM.