Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > I want to get into reloading what is the better press to start with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 01:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

This is probably where you will eventually end up anyway. Save the time and money -- take the plunge. You won't regret it.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #12

The RCBS Rockchucker is probably the best all around and strongest single stage press available, unless one wants to spend a lot more money. You can usually find a used one (it is almost impossible to wear one out) on ebay for under $100.
cottontop

Old 03-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #13

Look at the Forster Co-Ax Press and the RCBS RockChucker both are excellent and will last. Purchasing one of these you won't be looking for another in a few years.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #14

Liked 302 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have a couple of RCSB Rockchuckers and a Redding. The Redding is pretty cool.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3227

I was thinking about getting into reloading, and yes I have read the sticky, but I still have question...

I shoot common rounds- .22LR, 9mm, .38 special, .45ACP as well as 5.56mm. I also shoot 10mm (which is not common in my area). I know I can get pretty good deals on .22LR, 9mm and 5.56mm, but 10mm and .45ACP can get pricey. So, would reloading be worth it in the long run? I shoot once a month, due to the cost of ammo. At one point, I used to go once a week, and would really like to go back to that. My handgun accuracy is diminishing.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #16

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Mr 609,
In my experience the thought of saving a little money by rolling your own is appealing. Unfortunately, you will not reduce your cash out lay. Yes, depending upon what you load, you will recoup the costs of setup in little time. That is the good part. The better part is that you will begin to understand the workings of your various loadings and shoot better loads that you tailor to your weapons and shoot a lot more.
But this takes time, thought and labor on your part. If you determine that reloading is not for you, you may recoup a great deal of your out lay by selling your stuff off.

In short, it is cheaper per loaded round to reload. Your quality reloads are better than those punched out by some machine with questionable quality control. If you go out and rattle off 4 or 5 hundred rounds in an afternoon and don't think to pick up your brass, your savings will go a way and you will have a lot of work to do.

You can reload 22 RF, it is not worth the effort in my mind. I reload 9s(not for me-for my brother), 45s (44s), (I don't load 10MM but I do 40cals) and when using lead bullets, the cost to me is all but the same and that is low. I gave up on 38s long ago. My 223/5.56s, 308/7.62s, 30.06s and 375s are IMHO much better than factory loads and one heck of a lot cheaper.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 03-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"RCBS Rockchucker is probably the best all around and strongest single stage press available,"

That's an over statement, IMHO; I've used an RC since '87 and strongly disagree with both premises. It's an okay press but I can see no way it's any better or stronger than others in it's class, including Lee's Classic Cast. IF the CC had been available when I got my RC, THAT'S what I would have, even if it had cost more.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:17 AM   #18

The basic Rock Chucker of '87 does not compare to the ones produced today. Like most items, you get what you pay for.

As for the quality of todays factory ammunition and talking about premium not cheap or third-world surplus ammo, it surprisingly good. I will go so far as to say it those who reload only using basic steps would be better off with quality factory rounds. Not to say those that are dedicated to producing the best reloaded rounds possible and understand the correct method to produce their ammo based on thier individual firearms can reach the potential of themselves and at times their firearms. Reloading can be tedious as well as demanding but still fun.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #19

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I have a RCBS Jr. that's over 30 years old. It's allowed me to do a lot of shooting that I couldn't do if I had to buy factory ammo.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #20

Default Rcbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
"RCBS Rockchucker is probably the best all around and strongest single stage press available,"

That's an over statement, IMHO; I've used an RC since '87 and strongly disagree with both premises. It's an okay press but I can see no way it's any better or stronger than others in it's class, including Lee's Classic Cast. IF the CC had been available when I got my RC, THAT'S what I would have, even if it had cost more.

I know you are quoting me and for some reason you have singled me out and continue to try to discredit me and make me look foolish. This is not the first time. I realize that I, like most other middle aged/old guys are very strongly opinionated when it comes to politics and guns. Too many of us believe in too many gun and shooting myths. So, I like many others who post on shooting forums will make statements that are largely opinion and can't really be proven.
That being said, I have taken various Lee products to gun shows and gun shops w/ the express purpose of trying to trade them for RCBS products. Dealers tell me that Lee doesn't even come close to RCBS in quality and resale value, and they refuse to even consider a trade. They may or may not be right. I personally own many Lee products and I like them very much and use them. I have nothing against Lee. But, when it all comes out in the wash, I do prefer RCBS.
cottontop