I want to get into reloading what is the better press to start with?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > I want to get into reloading what is the better press to start with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I want to get into reloading what is the better press to start with?

I want to get into reloading what is the better press to start with a lee loadmaster or lee turret, this is mainly going to be used for mostly pistol rounds ranging from 380 to 50ae so there will be a lot or die changings for the diff calibers. Also a few rifle rounds mainly 223 and 7.62 maybe 7mm. I only shot about 250-350 rounds a month but need to be able to work quick and efficient? Any suggestions. And of course like anything else cost is a factor.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lyman T-Mag turret press is a great press. You can get one from Bass Pro Shop for $145 which is the same price as a Rockchucker. The T-mag is built very sturdy whereas the Lee is a lightweight press. Since I load only cast bullets in my handguns, I use a seperate press to expand the case mouths. This allows me to keep dies from 3 calibers mounted on the turret, .380 acp, .38 special, and 9mm. It's nice to have these dies always mounted and adjusted properly. Something else that I wouldn't do without is a hand priming tool, mine is the one from Hornady. It is so much easier to use than a press mounted attachment, and I can prime cases while sitting with the family instead of being alone out in the garage.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Midway has the lee turret press for 112 dollars. I have used this press for 12 years and am very happy with it. There are 60 reviews for it at midway USA of actual users. This is a very sturdy piece of equipment.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The Lee Classic Turret is a great press at a good price. Take off the auto-index parts and it's a simple single stage turret that is stout enough to resize anything short of .50bmg. It's a good starter press that qualifies as a lifetime keeper as well.

The loadmaster is a so-so progressive from what I've read, but I haven't ever used one. When you are ready to take the step to progressive I suggest a Dillon 550b or a Hornady LnL. I have the Dillon, but might buy the Hornady if I was starting over.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I would get the Lee Classic Turret.
If you need more press later, get the Hornady L-N-L progressive and not the Lee progressives--unless you are a tinkerer and like a challenge.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Have you read the sticky above? Tango did a great write up on this topic a few years ago and is really a great read for someone looking to get into reloading.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:34 AM   #7

What sticky?

Old 01-31-2012, 02:50 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Dillon Square Deal B (RL550B). Buy the full kit and never look back. Excellent customer service, warranty and support. Versatile, tough, as relaible as my 1911. Lot's of upgrade possibilities when you get ready for additional calibers or features.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:54 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

When you first click on the reloading section ( or any for that matter ) at the top are common topics and are placed there permanently.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"..the Lee is a lightweight press."

Saying 'the Lee' isn't very helpful, they make quite a few presses and two are cast iron and steel, both are quite 'heavy' if that matters.

Noobs have a lot to learn, that learning can be made much more difficult by starting on a progressive press. Get the Lee Classic (iron)Turret instead and use it in the single stage mode until you learn the basics of reloading very well. Then get die holder heads for each caliber you want to load for and use the auto-indexing feature to speed things up. If you want a progressive later you'll have enough personal hands-on experience to make your own correct choice.

Last edited by 1hole; 02-06-2012 at 01:49 AM.