Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   I Remember Why I Reload (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/i-remember-why-i-reload-101930/)

MOshooter 12-23-2013 11:44 PM

I Remember Why I Reload

I just bought a 9mm barrel for my Glock 23 a while back,picked up some G19 magazines.

I have been itching to shoot the G23 with the 9mm barrel,so I thought I would pick up some factory 9mm ammo to cure the itch until I was set up to reload for the 9mm with my Dillon 550,I need dies and a caliber conversion kit.

The wife was going to Bass Pro,so I asked if she would pick up a box of 9mm ammo,when she made it home with 2 boxes of 9mm was 26.00 ea.,I thought that was a bit high? Until I saw the box was 20 COUNT for 26.00 bucks! :eek: That's over a dollar a shot?? For 9mm?? :eek: That's not a little high,that's down right robbery! :eek:

I can buy the dies for less than 40 shells of 9mm?
How times have changed? I haven't bought any factory centerfire ammo since the mid 80s and won't be buying factory ammo except for CCW only.

robocop10mm 12-24-2013 12:13 AM

Did you buy premium HP ammo? That is about right for the "good" stuff right now.

MOshooter 12-24-2013 01:06 AM

Yes Robo I believe it was SD Federal,I guess that's inline? I'm just not used to buying factory ammo.

From what my wife told me there were only three boxes of 9mm ammo at Bass Pro on the shelves and it was the Federal Devastator,maybe I should keep it for SD ammo?

Thanks for the input.

robocop10mm 12-24-2013 01:15 AM

At a $ a shot, yes keep it for a rainy day.

MOshooter 12-24-2013 01:23 AM

I never thought I would see the day 9mm was over a dollar a shot?

davva360 12-24-2013 01:28 AM

I just bought 100 FMJ 9mm for $25. A box of 50 is usually about $15. Don't think either of those prices is bad considering the shortages we just went through.

At this point I am relieved its back on the shelves so I can shoot without dwindling my supplies.

MOshooter 12-24-2013 01:56 AM

davva,

It is good to see ammo back on the shelves again.
I was just looking for some inexpensive target ammo,until I could round up some carbide dies along with a caliber conversion kit for the 550 Dillon.

JW357 12-24-2013 03:45 AM

Yeah if it were me I'd keep it for a rainy day too.

Unless you absolutely have to shoot through the new barrel right now. I doubt anyone would fault you for that. :)

JonM 12-24-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOshooter (Post 1465891)
davva,

It is good to see ammo back on the shelves again.
I was just looking for some inexpensive target ammo,until I could round up some carbide dies along with a caliber conversion kit for the 550 Dillon.

There is a spreadsheet floating around that you enter your current conversions for the dillon presses and it tells you what pieces your missing for any given other caliber conversion. Let's you decide if you need a full kit or its cheaper to buy just a part or two. Pretty handy thing.

MOshooter 12-24-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1465980)
Yeah if it were me I'd keep it for a rainy day too.

Unless you absolutely have to shoot through the new barrel right now. I doubt anyone would fault you for that. :)

JW,
I will probably save the SD 9mm ammo for my wife,she's the main reason why I decided to give the 9mm a try. She shoots 22 & 38s really well,the 40 S&W just seems a bit snappy for her to handle after a shot or two,plus that gives me a reason to take a close look at the Sig 938 :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1466040)
There is a spreadsheet floating around that you enter your current conversions for the dillon presses and it tells you what pieces your missing for any given other caliber conversion. Let's you decide if you need a full kit or its cheaper to buy just a part or two. Pretty handy thing.

Jon
Thanks for the information.

I have that chart in my reloading room that breaks down the individual components for each caliber that will show which powder funnel,plate,and brass pins for the various calibers.

I have never loaded or shot any 9mm cartridge? :)
In the handgun cartridges I reload 38s,357mag,44 special,44mag,45 Colt,and the 45ACP.