Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   I need ideas for a reloading work area, what ya got? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/i-need-ideas-reloading-work-area-what-ya-got-30243/)

Mack Bolan 08-09-2010 09:17 PM

I need ideas for a reloading work area, what ya got?

i'm looking to start reloading however i have one question in regards to the designated work area.

right now, the only area i have conducive to reloading to set up my equipment is a"temporary" one, meaning i couldn't leave everything out and set up- i would have to set up and breakdown everytime (like a reloading roadie) and being a total green horn, i'm wondering if thats even worth it.

i mean in terms of set up and breakdown time vs actual reloading time- most likely i'll never have more than 4-6 hours to commit- if 3 of that is spent setting up and cleaning up, and in the other 3hrs i can only do 50-100 rounds....it may be worth just waiting til i have a better area set aside to reload in.

i just dont know whats a typical production rate for the average noob/beginning reloader...?

i would be starting in .40 S&W and 10mm with a RCBS supreme rock chucker kit- i dont want to buy any bullets, powder or primers until i have a more solid plan as to where and when i'm going to do this. Thanks.

mack.

lonyaeger 08-09-2010 10:04 PM

Google "reloading benches" and it will take you to several other forums that I saw yesterday. Some really neat ideas and setups for reloading in cramped quarters. Sorry I don't have time to find some for you, but this is a start. :)

cpttango30 08-10-2010 12:36 AM

At first I would go slow and triple check everything I do. That is just me. Don't look for speed in the beginning that is a sure way to end up with a KABOOM in your face.

There are plenty of reloading bench set ups out there. If you are going to build a bench make it HEAVY duty. I am talking 6x6 Legs 2 sheets of 1 1/2 plywood with 2x6 bracing and if you can screw that sucker to the wall and bolt it to the floor. My current bench is built out of 2x4 and it even being screwed to the wall top and bottom with 3 1/2" deckmate screws it still wobbles. If you can build a bench then I would put in some metal track so that you can have plates and just move and remove items at will. I have also seen where they take 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood and make a cut out where the middle layer is bigger than the top and bottom (Like an Oreo cookie with the filling on the outside and the cookie in the middle). If you make the removable section large enough it will spread the force of reloading over a greater area. Then you can make a plug that is smooth and one for your press and one for a vice or anything else you need.

It all depends on the space you have and the space you want.

Here is the plans to a corner unit that folds up and locks so little fingers and eyes can't get into it. Corner Reloading Bench Plans

Here is a sweet design from the NRA. http://www.americanrifleman.org/Webcontent/pdf/2009-7/200971592146-loadingbench.pdf

Here is one with the removable press section. Reloading Bench Project

I hate posting links to other forums. But here is a 51+ page thread with so many pictures it will take you a week to get through them all. If you don't have a log in sign up for one just for this thread. I am telling you so totally worth it.

Show us a picture of your reloading bench - Page 2 - THR

VitSports6 08-10-2010 04:12 AM

Here is my meager reloading station.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2..._6/laptop2.jpg

I have since moved this "Bullet-n-board" for a shelf, I moved this to the back of the door.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...let-nboard.jpg

Mine is in a storage room, I keep all the consumables in my safe, I managed to reload 40 7.62x54R bullets in less than an hour, They were already clean, But I did prime, powder and bullet them, I usually measure the loads every ten rounds, Just to be sure I'm getting the right amount.
I don't see why you couldn't make a couple hundred rounds in a few hours, The smaller rounds do seem to go a little quicker.
I haven't done any reloading for a few months, I've been busy out and about enjoying the weather.
Good luck

spittinfire 08-10-2010 11:33 AM

I have an area that I can reload in but I have to set up and take down when I want to do anything. It can be a pain but I just make sure I have several hours before I get started so I can make it worth while.
Go slow, ask questions and double check everything you do.

opaww 08-10-2010 01:18 PM

I started with no bench I just took my ex-wifes step stool which had a wood top on it and drilled holes for the press and used that. I just never figured out why she was mad at me and she would not tell me.

Troy Michalik 08-10-2010 07:54 PM

Mack, if a temporary set up is all you have to work with, then work with what you have. There is no rule that says you have to reload start to finish in one session. Break up the process into easy stopping points. For instance, clean and inspect all your brass one day, the next day de-cap and size, then prime. The final step would be a little longer with charging and seating, but breaking the process up into smaller steps might be more manageable with your space and time restraints.

Like has been said before, check and recheck and then check it again. Take good notes to mark the progress of your batches if you break it up into steps, and then go over what youíve done before starting the next session.

Obviously there is no substitute for having a full time reloading area, but doing without isnít impossible.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

TheOldMan 08-13-2010 04:37 PM

Hey Vits... Where did you get the poster from ?? I love it!!

TheOldMan 08-13-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opaww (Post 329127)
I started with no bench I just took my ex-wifes step stool which had a wood top on it and drilled holes for the press and used that. I just never figured out why she was mad at me and she would not tell me.

Hmm is that why she's your "ex" wife now?:rolleyes:

VitSports6 08-13-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOldMan (Post 331089)
Hey Vits... Where did you get the poster from ?? I love it!!

I got it from my dad along with all the reloading equipment, I remember the poster in my dads reloading area from when I was a kid back in the 70's.
Its a Hornaday chart, I would imagine there are newer posters, But I have never looked.