Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   I need ammo help! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/i-need-ammo-help-42686/)

Beretta 05-19-2011 02:22 AM

I need ammo help!

I carried a .357 snubby for years. And the only ammo I used and swore by was Buffalo Bore Ammunition. 38 Special 158gr SWC. freaking awesome round!! Nothing eles.

Well a friend of mine finally talked me out of it and I bought a new PX4 full size with the $$.

Now I use my Px4sc 9mm for EDC. I must admit, I am totally ignorant in the ways for 9mm SD ammo. Buffalo Bore only make +P+ in 9mm. That just sounds to hot for my PX4. Im not asking the "What's the best 9mm ammo for SD" question. I see those all over the place. Im looking for real advice. maybe you heard something and found out it really does the job. I want Buffalo Bore power!!! Pass it on. thanks for the helps guys.

fireguy 05-19-2011 03:23 AM

There is no standard for +P+. It is marketing. What is the velocity of the ammo compared to competitors? Probably the same as the +P.
A modern firearm, especially a full size should be able to handle the "+P+".
You may not actually need that fast of a round, but it should handle it.

firelooker 05-19-2011 05:03 AM

Why a 9mm?

Still can't understand why so many people carry 9mm, a 45 doesn't weigh that much more and packs a whole lot more punch. The only thing I can think of is they want the ammo capacity that you get w/ most 9mm's.

Davo45 05-19-2011 01:20 PM

Why Some Choose a 9mm

There are many reasons why some people in the U.S. choose a 9mm as opposed to .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .357 Sig and 10mm. It is the same reason that some people choose to buy a Chevrolet as opposed to a Ford, Honda, Toyota, etc. because they want to. Others, because they have to (it's mandated by their agency) or because of any number of other reasons.

In many countries overseas 9mm ammunition is plentiful, while .45 ACP, .40 S&W and .357 Sig is not, so the choice for anyone in any of those countries is a no brainer. "Get a 9mm I can get ammo for or something else I can't.....hmmm? I suppose I'll get a 9mm.

I used to pose the same question, before I got into law enforcement, then I began to understand. Some people (LEOs and armed citizens alike) can't shoot a .40 or .45 well, but can put a round through each eye ball if they wanted to with a 9mm. I prefer a .40 or .45, but know that shot placement trumps bore diameter everyday. As the late Col. Jeff Cooper said, "A hit with a .22 is infinitely better than a miss with a .44 magnum."

Some agencies choose to issue their officers 9mm pistols for no other reason than because 9mm ammo is cheaper than .40 S&W, .357 Sig or .45 ACP. Less money for ammo means more for other things. In the case of the U.S. Military, it was a combination of political and logistical reasons. The U.S. was the only country in NATO that didn't use the 9mm, plus 9mm ammo is lighter then .45 so more can be transported from point A to point B in the same amount of space.

*As far as the original question about +P+ ammo, if you're pistol or revolver can handle +P loads go ahead and shoot them.

FaTmAn 05-19-2011 07:07 PM

I have carried 9mm for almost 10 years or so i now carry 40 s&w as my edc and on my job but when i carried my 9mm i used Hornady

here is a sight and what i carried.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: .355 9mm :: 9mm .355 147 gr HP XTP®

firelooker 05-19-2011 07:33 PM

firelooker

Boy looks like I opened a can of worms with my first real post. I'm not rying to slam the 9 just wondered why it was so popular. I own a 9mm Ruger P90,actually it's my wifes so Iam familiar with them. but my personal carry is the Ruger P345 which I chose over several others because 1. It fits my hand better than any others I tried and 2. It was very affordable at around 300.00 plus it handles just about any brand of ammo I put through it. I usualy carry it IWB in a holster I designed for it. The only draw back to it is the long trigger pull in DA mode which I very seldom use (It's just as easy to thumb the hammer back:).

EDF924 05-19-2011 08:55 PM

I have asked the same question for over 45 years. I think back to the reason the .45 ACP was developed. Stopping power!

Unlike movies and television where they portray a person being shot with a 9mm thrown back through a window and such... Not likely.

I personally like the 9mm because of the high capacity pistols, which allow police to lay down cover fire for other officers, if the situation dictates. This is the exception rather than the rule for most situations.

In the rare and unexpected, self defense situation, how will you react? If you are calm, steady and you can accurately place 3 or 4 rounds of 9mm bullets into your opponent (face preferred but mid section at least) you will be fine.

A .45 ACP would work well with 1 or 2 rounds.

How many of us are really so calm in such situations ? It's always a dynamic and quickly changing encounter when it happens. So the police and military train as much as possible for the unexpected.

In any case you have to hit your target. I never try to predict how I will react with any certainty.

At some time, we all have asked your question.

A fast or heavy load (+P+ etc) can punch a hole if it just goes through and the size of the hole can matter.

I prefer a .45 ACP although over the years I have also carried a .22, .38, .357, 9mm and .45.

Boils down to... it's your choice.

I don't think there is one "right" answer.

Respectfully

firelooker 05-19-2011 09:45 PM

firelooker

I have also carried the 357 mag and have cussed myself several times over the years for parting with it. It was one of the original Ruger Security sixes I bought it brand new in 1974 for a 100.00. I used to load my own for it either 7.5 grains of Unique or 14.5 gr of 2400 behind a 158 gr jacketed hollow points. It was a great pistol! I traded it for a 45 long colt S/A which was also a great pistol. The pistol that Ithink is the most fun to shoot is a Taurus Tracker in 44 mag but ammo is really expensive at 35.00 a box so I don't shoot it very often. Sure wish this crazy weather would warm up so I can get out and do some shooting. Hard to get out in the woods when it's raining or snowing. Thanks for the feed back.

Beretta 05-20-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firelooker (Post 507204)
Still can't understand why so many people carry 9mm

This simple first post you made hit a note with me.

CHLChris 05-20-2011 11:57 PM

MANY good rounds!!

I liked Remington Golden Saber JHP 124gr. +p

They are 25 rounds in a box for the same price as 20 Gold Dots. I'm cheap. I highly doubt that a perfect round is necessary. Jacketed hollow point from one of the major manufacturers, if it cycles reliably in your gun, will work just fine. I'd even carry BVAC 124gr. JHP from Cheaper Than Dirt.

But I sold my 9mm for a .45acp 1911...