Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > I KNOW NOTHING. complete 9mm reloading how to.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Default I KNOW NOTHING. complete 9mm reloading how to.

I really know nothing about reloading/loading AMMO. I want to know how much $$$ it would cost to get everything ill need. Also how difficult is to learn.
Last thing. After buying the equipment, how much do the ammo components- Shells, primers, powder, etc cost. It would have to be cheaper to make. A 1000 rounds 9mm luger cost about $175. For that kinda $, how many could I make?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Typically 9mm isn't worth reloading. You won't see much in savings. If you buy Lee products you can probably get all the equipment you need for under $500. Start with a reloading manual and read it cover to cover.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8411 Times on 3645 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Your FIRST purchase should be a copy of The ABCs of Reloading. Check Amazon, you can get a used copy fairly cheap.

Shop around for USED equipment. Dies rarely wear out. Minimum, with careful shopping, around $100 or so. You CAN spend a LOT more. Check Ebay AND Amazon. But get and read the book first. A single stage press is cheaper than a turret press, which is cheaper than a progressive press- but the single stage takes longer.

Costs will depend on cost of components. Brass can usually be scrounged. Bullets will be the most expensive items, followed by primers and powder. You can reload for about half of the retail price you mentioned. I cast my own bullets for .38 Wadcutter, and figure a loaded cartridge is about $.035 (that 3 and a half cents)

Unless you are reloading for a REALLY pricey caliber (I have a rifle in .348 Winchester- SOB!) do not focus on monetary savings- they can be there, but when your time is taken into account, it is small. But rolling you own is satisfying, and you get some very good ammo.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Thank you both. I will stick with 1000 rd. boxes for now. However I will put that book as a priority to read! Later

Old 07-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #5

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86 View Post
I really know nothing about reloading/loading AMMO. I want to know how much $$$ it would cost to get everything ill need. Also how difficult is to learn. Last thing. After buying the equipment, how much do the ammo components- Shells, primers, powder, etc cost. It would have to be cheaper to make. A 1000 rounds 9mm luger cost about $175 (that's $8.75 per box) . For that kinda $, how many could I make?
In 45 years, I've never ever shot any factory ammo in any of my guns. And I've never ever put a jacketed bullet through any of my barrels. I reload and cast my own bullets. I have a shooting range on my property so I recycle the lead. My actual recurring cost to reload a box of 38 wadcutters is right around $2.00. I started with the little Lee Pistol loader (was around 10 bucks, now they're $38) where ya bang on things to make your rounds. It was slow, but it worked pretty well. Over the years, I've used various reloading presses. I now have a Dillon 550B. If ya wanna get proficient with any gun, ya gotta practice, ALOT ! Unless you're independently wealthy, that means reloading.

The Lee Breech Lock Challenger kit will set ya back $172.00. It comes with a very good instruction manual. The dies will be another $40.00. That should take care of all the equipment you'd need for awhile. Assuming you're starting with your fired cases, then it's just powder, primers and bullets. I calculate that you could reload 9MM for just under $6 a box. So you'd save $2.75 per box. At that rate it would take 80 boxes to recovery your initial investment. To answer one of your questions, for $175 you could reload almost 1500 rounds. Hope all this gives ya some food for thought.

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Last edited by genesis; 07-15-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

He who says 9mm is worth reloading.

1000 precision delta 147gr fmj $94

1000 wolf or Tula primers $20-$25

1/2 lb Titegroup $10-$12

And if you're buying brass, $20-30.

Every dollar saved is worth it.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 07-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #7

Liked 1675 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

I have been reloading 9mm for a few years now. You can definately save money. I do pour my own lead. That saves a lot more than buying bullets. ou can get into casting pretty cheap.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Keep an eye out for used equip.I got a really nice old Pacific press at a flea mkt a year or so ago.It was 25$....and wouldn't take 5 times that,for it.Its a perfect match/compliment for our Pacific 366 shotshell loader.

Used reloading equip is one VERY good reason to stop by all the old gunshops you see,in your travels.And you sort of have to look for it.......or ask if they have any older/used equip in back,collecting dust.