I just bought a Winchester 1894 chambered in 30-30
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > I just bought a Winchester 1894 chambered in 30-30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I just bought a Winchester 1894 chambered in 30-30

That statement right there should sum up why I want to get in on reloading.
I would just like to ask what is the best thing to read to learn about reloading?
Also, anything I should know about reloading Winchester 30-30 in general?

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't use pointed projectiles.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Get a loading manual. I tend to prefer the one put out by Lyman, as they don't sell powder, and are less likely to push their own product. All the major powder manufacturers put them out. Read carefully the first third or so of the manual. Lots of good (SAFETY) information there. Check with you local gun shop and see if there's a reloader close that might be williing to "look over your shoulder" while you're getting comfortable with things. Virtually every data sheet will recommend that you begin loading at the low end of the "safe range". Heed that recommendation, and you'll be less likely to blow yerself up. Also in that manual you'll find recommended powder/bullet combinations that you may try. If you can't find anyone closer, I'm in Indiana, about halfway between Indy, and Ft. Wayne. I'd be glad to host you for a day, and show you what I can. My local dealer carries new, and used loading equipment, as well as components, and manuals. I'm retired, so timing is not an issue.

Regards, Jay

edit..... this site is geared towards reloading, and would be an excellent resource for you....

http://www.shootersforum.com/

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 10-05-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added info

Old 10-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=saviorslegacy;363375]
I would just like to ask what is the best thing to read to learn about reloading?
QUOTE]

Read every manual you can get your hands on. And by read I mean cover to cover.

Congrats on your new purchase. I also have a 1894 30-30, It hasnt let me down yet.

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Your 94 Winchester is a rear locking action, this allows the cases to stretch more than a front locking action. All rear locking actions should be closely monitered for excessive case stretch. I monitor how many times I reload a 30-30. I load it only 5 times this encludes the original factory loading. After that the case can break inside the chamber, leaving a partial case lodged in your chamber.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:55 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I don't reload, although I hope to at some point. I just wanted to congratulate you on your new rifle.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 274

The Lee manual has a ton of good info for beginners and it's cheap too. They make reloading equipment and they are quite willing to show you how well it works I have the Lyman as well, and it's also quite good.
The ABC's of reloading also is apparently considered a "Must Have" reference as well. Though I will confess, I don't have it.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman