Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > I found a great .44 Mag load.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default I found a great .44 Mag load.

I have a Super Blackhawk in .44 mag with a 7.5 " barrel. A friend of mine just bought a Henry lever-action rifle chambered in .44 mag. We went shooting and tested some loads. One of my loads produced very good groups in both guns. While I was shooting groups with holes that were all touching, my friend was putting almost all of his shots through the same hole with his rifle. The load was 19.6 grains of Lil Gun behind a 240-grain Hornady XTP HP. I was using Starline brass and Winchester WLP primers. The average velocity out of my Super Blackhawk was approximately 1330 fps and 1570 out of the rifle. We were able to easily hit pop cans at 100 yards with the rifle. I think we are both going to stick with this load.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I have a Super Blackhawk in .44 mag with a 7.5 " barrel. A friend of mine just bought a Henry lever-action rifle chambered in .44 mag. We went shooting and tested some loads. One of my loads produced very good groups in both guns. While I was shooting groups with holes that were all touching, my friend was putting almost all of his shots through the same hole with his rifle. The load was 19.6 grains of Lil Gun behind a 240-grain Hornady XTP HP. I was using Starline brass and Winchester WLP primers. The average velocity out of my Super Blackhawk was approximately 1330 fps and 1570 out of the rifle. We were able to easily hit pop cans at 100 yards with the rifle. I think we are both going to stick with this load.
i need to write this recipe down!

I shoot 18.5 gr 2400 OR i have found similar (i am 400 miles form my load book at he moment, sorry) gr of IMR 4227 over those 240gr hps to be a sweet load.

I have shot 240 gr. bulk hps and get decent groupings but when using those hornady XTP's i get AMAZING groups...all over 2400 or the IMR.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
i need to write this recipe down!

I shoot 18.5 gr 2400 OR i have found similar (i am 400 miles form my load book at he moment, sorry) gr of IMR 4227 over those 240gr hps to be a sweet load.

I have shot 240 gr. bulk hps and get decent groupings but when using those hornady XTP's i get AMAZING groups...all over 2400 or the IMR.
I have had the best results with the Hornady XTP bullets. I seated the bullets for this load for a C.O.L. of 1.600, which should put the top of the brass in the crimping groove. I shot lots of rounds using this load and by far it was the most accurate I tried. I think you will like it. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #4

Blue Turf and FMJ, in your opinion, how do you think your receipes would work in my Ruger semi-auto carbine? I haven't found many rifle receipe in .44 mag., could you steer me to a site or manual which has some?

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #5

Hawkeye84, my only concern would be that this load might be a little hot for a semi-auto action and slam the bolt back pretty hard. I am not sure about this but I will do some checking and get back with you.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye84 View Post
Blue Turf and FMJ, in your opinion, how do you think your receipes would work in my Ruger semi-auto carbine? I haven't found many rifle receipe in .44 mag., could you steer me to a site or manual which has some?

Thanks.
I did some research and the load I use should be fine in your Ruger semi-auto rifle. I found a good page for you and included the link below. I hope this helps.
Ruger 44 Magnum Carbine, Ruger .44 Rifle

Old 01-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
fmj

Sorry, just came across your question Hawkeye!

My recipes of 18.5 gr 2400 and IMR4227 over 240 gr HP's are FOR/USED IN my Ruger Semi Auto carbine. Hornady XTP's give the best results, but the bulk 240 hp's dont do too bad either.

I contend the loads and gun shoot better than I do...
2 separate 5 round volleys, using different POA.

another target...same recipes...

The scope is actually sighted to hit high...

Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
fmj

OH i am also using Federal Gold Medal large pistol magnum primers..

Old 01-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
fmj

Hey Blueturf....you have a chrono?? or are you getting your velocities from the book figures?

also whats the length of that henry barrel?

Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Hey Blueturf....you have a chrono?? or are you getting your velocities from the book figures?

also whats the length of that henry barrel?
Yeah, we used a crony when testing this load. The Henry has a 20" barrel. In one string the Henry had three straight shots that tested at 1572, which is pretty consistent. This is now my pet load for .44 mag.