Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > I finally put together some ammo!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I finally put together some ammo!

Okay, after farting around for the last couple of weeks since I got my RCBS RC kit and giving things like my real job and family priority, I finally quit cleaning and depriming old brass and loaded up some ammo! Strangely, after all my plans and initial dies for .357/.38, I got .45 ACP dies for my birthday after I got my new XDm 45 a couple of weeks ago, so I loaded up 45 as my first attempt.

It was quite the learning experience, given that I had to learn the dies and adjustments, the powder thrower, the balance, the priming tool, etc., but it was great.

I hope to get to the range in the next couple of days and see how they work. And I finally picked up some .357 bullets and hope to reload some of them to test tonight.

Travis'n'Texas

my-first-cartridge.jpg   his-friends.jpg  

Travis'n'Texas

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Excellent work! Welcome to a whole new (even if supportive) hobby!

Old 04-02-2012, 03:52 AM   #3

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

You're hooked now! Next you will have to buy lots of different powders. Different bullet types and regular and magnum primers. More reloading books. And the best part, a lot more time at the range (you have to test everything you load lots of times!).

Old 04-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #4

Thanks. Have not been able to get to the range, so I finally shot 5 rounds in the back yard at the berm to make sure they worked yesterday afternoon. We live out of the city so it's legal, but we also have neighbors that have to be considered.

I am happy to say that (at least the rounds I shot) worked flawlessly in my XDm. They burned cleanly, cycled correctly, showed no high pressure signs, and felt better to shoot than the lighter bullet Winchester white box that I had on hand. It was a low pressure load with a FMJ-RN Hornady 230 gr. bullet pushed with 5.8 gr. of Unique with CCI large pistol primers.

Apparently all my study over the last few months has payed off, and I made something that works! Can't thank everybody here enough, for everything I have learned over the last few months regarding equipment needed, pet loads, safety, etc. It is wonderful to have this forum as a resource, and to know I can come to y'all with questions when I run into issues!

By the way, my 45 and 357/38 lead bullets get here tomorrow!

Thanks to everyone here, the time you take to post your knowledge is greatly appreciated!

Travis'n'Texas

Travis'n'Texas

Old 04-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #5

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Congrats on your reloading success!I am interested in getting a single stage to get me started but I am hesitant due to the fact that I have never done it and don't know anyone that can show me. Did you have any issues with seating the bullet in the case to the proper depth? Only reason I ask, a guy at the range just started reloading .45 acp and his first batch were seated too deep and would not fire. It was causing the cases to bulge a bit, an experienced reloader at the range suggested he pull the bullets and start over as they were unsafe.

Keep us posted on your progress, pics of your progression would be very helpful to me

Old 04-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #6

Great job I recently got one myself and have currently loaded 2 boxes of 30/06 rounds. I'm wondering if anyone can give me an approximate on how much variance is realistic in between my rounds. I have bore seated to get an accurate final length. I'm trying to keep it as close as I can because I know it is going to make a difference in the accuracy.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Looking good, Keep it up.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrange View Post
Congrats on your reloading success!I am interested in getting a single stage to get me started but I am hesitant due to the fact that I have never done it and don't know anyone that can show me. Did you have any issues with seating the bullet in the case to the proper depth? Only reason I ask, a guy at the range just started reloading .45 acp and his first batch were seated too deep and would not fire. It was causing the cases to bulge a bit, an experienced reloader at the range suggested he pull the bullets and start over as they were unsafe.

Keep us posted on your progress, pics of your progression would be very helpful to me
Thanks. I got the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit with a 38/357 RCBS die set to learn with. But prior to that I read every reloading sticky on this forum and everthing else I could find on the internet. Also prior to that I ordered and read the ABC's of Reloading as recommended by many here. And also prior to that I watched every youtube video on reloading I could find, with emphasis on single stage presses. I did not have anybody to show me either, but it's not really that hard.

They are apparently discontinuing the kit, so prices have really dropped. Natchez has it for $269 right now in stock, and if you add RCBS dies and shell holder and go over $300 RCBS has a $50 rebate. I got the dies for .45 ACP for my birthday. I already had a digital micrometer, which is something that you will need, but it does not have to be digital, just accurate.

Seated to deep is dangerous, btw! The kit comes with the Speer loading manual, which is a pretty good manual IMO. I adjusted my seating die to seat the bullet to a depth that gave me an overall length identical to the Winchester White Box ammo that I had on hand, that used a similar bullet. That length was within the length limits stated in the reloading manual.

It's a lot of fun to reload, and if you like building things I suggest you give it a try! However, saving money on ammunition is not going to happen for a long time, unless you ignore the cost of the equipment. With the kit, the dies, the shell holders, the tumbler I picked up, etc., I figure that my 40 rounds of .45 ACP that I just loaded cost me about $16.60 a piece!

Good luck if you get into it. Everybody here will help with any questions or issue you come up against.

Travis'n'Texas

Old 04-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adammiz View Post
Great job I recently got one myself and have currently loaded 2 boxes of 30/06 rounds. I'm wondering if anyone can give me an approximate on how much variance is realistic in between my rounds. I have bore seated to get an accurate final length. I'm trying to keep it as close as I can because I know it is going to make a difference in the accuracy.
Thanks! Are you asking about variances in shot accuracy or variances in your measurements, weighings, etc.? I can't really speak much as to variances in shot accuracy, other than to state the little I understand. Every gun it seems has a sweet spot that varies with bullet, powder, OAL, crimp, etc. So to find that you pick the range you are interested in then vary each of those parameters a little bit at a time within limits and shoot from a bench rest to compare results (chrono is a plus). I would start with google searches to find folks with the same gun you have and see what they have found works for them.

Just my two bits.

Travis'n'Texas

Last edited by Staestc; 04-04-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #10

I am talking about oal.