I Chose My 9mm Ammo - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

I Chose My 9mm Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 04:00 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
be careful of anything that magazine writers say in articles. most of them recieve payment for promoting products and writing favorable articles. go read articles covering just about any product and you will just about never see a bad word written about even the worst product.

opinions written for profit have little bearing on facts. gun writers will often recieve guns or samples of products and will plop a firearm out ont he desk take a look at it and write glowing reviews of the range time they spent in blowing winds and rain that prevented them from truly testing the gear they got from that dealer. so they publish the article then ship the firearm back cosmoline still in the barrel...

that isnt to say the ammo you have chosen is bad just make sure that your taking the advice of a paid reviewer with a shaker of salt.
+1 Jon.
"Being of the old school - the very old school - I wish to warn youthful readers against putting their faith in 'gun writers.' These people have a right to their opinions, but these opinions should not be taken as incontro-vertible. As a youth I was led astray on a number of subjects and had to learn of my errors by personal field experience. The fact that a man "has been there and done that" does not necessarily mean that he knows what he is talking about. Read as much as you wish, but read critically, and then submit your conclusions to the test. This is not always possible, so read carefully, read critically, and then reserve judgment." Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper (1920-2006)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Ditto on the 124gr Gold Dot.
I'm using Gold Dot 124+P for PD bought this after reading what some of the senior members on here were suggesting. I normally load my mags the night before going to the range just for convenience but I also keep one with all 15 in on hand which I just cycle through when I hit the range so I always have 1 full just in case I guess this would be a good way to work on the spring.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
You are doing more damage to the springs by frequently rotating the ammo than leaving them in compression.
Cane - can you elaborate on that statement? I am not challenging you here, but I had always assumed the opposite. I had thought that (over time) magazine springs left in the compressed condition could lose some of their pre-tensioned strength (creep). If I remember my mechanical engineering design classes from 34 years ago correctly, a coil spring is actually under torsional stress when it is compressed.

I'd rather believe that you are correct, as rotating loaded mags for my AR's, AK's and various auto pistols is a real pain in the a$$!

Old 03-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #14

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
Cane - can you elaborate on that statement? I am not challenging you here, but I had always assumed the opposite. I had thought that (over time) magazine springs left in the compressed condition could lose some of their pre-tensioned strength (creep). If I remember my mechanical engineering design classes from 34 years ago correctly, a coil spring is actually under torsional stress when it is compressed.

I'd rather believe that you are correct, as rotating loaded mags for my AR's, AK's and various auto pistols is a real pain in the a$$!
My statement, “You are doing more damage to the springs by frequently rotating the ammo than leaving them in compression.” is based on both experience and education.

There are three basic spring issues that affect proper magazine feed.
  1. The mag itself. It must be dimensionally to design. If not, it doesn't matter what you do to the spring, the damn thing will not feed properly. This is why I only buy premium magazines for carry. (Tripp's)
  2. Clean and lube. You MUST keep your mags clean. You clean your pistol every time you fire it, why not the mag? At the very least, wipe it down and examine the follower for wear, primarily the slide-stop interface. You should have a pistol, mag-specific cleaning brush. At minimum, once a year, disassemble the mag and examine the spring, follower and base-plate for wear. If no obvious issues clean, lube and reassemble. If you find something, or just feel anal about your mag springs, go here: ISMI Gunsprings and pony-up the $8 to re-spring. As to the lube, LIGHTLY wipe down the parts with Rem Oil or any CLP of your choice. NOTE: LIGHTLY wipe down, NOT spray! Heavy lube (with suspended dirt and lint) is the source of many feed headaches.
  3. Use. The chief issue that wears a spring out is repetitive cycling to fatigue. (Not typically catastrophic, but certainly diminished memory.) It is the persistent alternating stress that ultimately causes this fatigue. I ignore anyone who advises periodically unloading then reloading the magazine. Without this cycling, a quality, clean and lubed mag with current technology springs (Such as IMSI, gun springs is their only business.) can, and will sit fully loaded for a year with no diminished function. Canebrake says “You can take that to the bank!”
Please go to the ISMI web site and read. You will be enlightened!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Cane - Thanks for the reference, I'll go get my self (re)educated! BTW, I like the idea of not rotating my loaded mags - less work!