I can't figure out whats wrong with my reloads? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > I can't figure out whats wrong with my reloads?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 367 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 View Post
Sorry it took a while to back to y'all. I FL size all my cases I messed my dies and its still doing the samething. I trim all my brass after i size them. But its only happening with Winchester brass but it works find with Remington brass.
Winchester brass can be a real hit and miss at times in terms of QA.
Try screwing the dies down on the Winchester brass and see how that goes.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 09-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yeah I agree with Hairbear that Winchester brass can be a pain in the ass at times,after you've FLR 1 case put it in the rifle and close the bolt as I previously mentioned and if it doesn't close wind the die down a little at a time and re chamber it,it should fix the problem unless you've ruined the die somehow....hope that helps...cheers

Old 09-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #13

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Alright guys I took my gun and shells to the gunshop I buy most my stuff at and he looked them over and he told me they was wore out.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2692 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Wore out? Brass does not wear out. It can become work hardened, cracked, develop incipient head separation, but not really wear out.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-29-2013, 01:29 AM   #15

Liked 1803 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

And I'll bet he offered to sell you some.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:14 AM   #16

What he was meaning is this is the last go around for them this is the fifth time I loaded. them and they are bulging at the bottom and no matter how I set my die it won't get rid of the bulge. I spent hours last night tinkering with my dies and it did no good.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:48 AM   #17

Liked 685 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
What he was meaning is this is the last go around for them this is the fifth time I loaded. them and they are bulging at the bottom and no matter how I set my die it won't get rid of the bulge. I spent hours last night tinkering with my dies and it did no good.
Something isn't right here.

Brass doesn't bulge at the bottom and wear out. It becomes brittle/work hardened in the neck and shoulder area. This work hardened brass can be brought back to life by annealing the necks.

Got a picture of these "bulged at the bottom" cases?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #18

Liked 367 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I think mseric has got something here. Pictures of these cases will definitely help us work out what is or has happened.
Get a piece of tie wire or something similar about the length of 2 cases long and put a bend or "leg" in 1 end like a small "L" shape.

Now insert this "L" shape bit of wire into the empty case and see if you can feel a furrow that is about 2/3rds of the way down the inside of the case.
If you do feel a furrow then that case is stuffed as it's about to split which is incipient case separation due to brittle brass and a lot of work.

Have you measured the length of your cases as they may be too long and need trimming back to a minimum length which is 2.160" long and this may be causing the die to actually crush the case down causing the bulge.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 09-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #19

Liked 685 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Sorry it took a while to back to y'all. I FL size all my cases I messed my dies and its still doing the samething. I trim all my brass after i size them. But its only happening with Winchester brass but it works find with Remington brass.
Can you be more specific as to what you did with your FL die?

There really isn't a lot of "Messing" that can be done to get FL sized brass to chamber.

Basically, screw the die into the press until it contacts the shell holder.
Lower the ram and screw the die into the press 1/4 turn More.

Lube and size a fired case. See if it chambers and extracts with ease. If yes, your are done Lock it down and double check. If No, screw the die into the press a little at a time until it does chamber.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post

Can you be more specific as to what you did with your FL die?

There really isn't a lot of "Messing" that can be done to get FL sized brass to chamber.

Basically, screw the die into the press until it contacts the shell holder.
Lower the ram and screw the die into the press 1/4 turn More.

Lube and size a fired case. See if it chambers and extracts with ease. If yes, your are done Lock it down and double check. If No, screw the die into the press a little at a time until it does chamber.
I screwed my die in tell it touched the shell holder. then sized a case and tried it and I kept screwing it down a little at a time. but it was still hard to close my bolt handle thats why I took it to him thinking he can point out what's wrong and thats when he told my cases was worn out and I should toss them. I got pictures of them but not enuff service to post them I have to wait till I go to town.

Last edited by bigdaddy573; 09-29-2013 at 07:59 PM.