Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > I can't figure out whats wrong with my reloads?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default I can't figure out whats wrong with my reloads?

Alright I been loading for a while and Im having problems with my 22-250. Im loading 55gr v-max at 2.344 and it chambers find but its hard to close my bolt. I tried to seat my bullet deeper and its the same problem. so I switched bullets and weights to 50gr and it still doing the samething?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #2

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sounds like head spacing. Check all of your case dimensions

Old 09-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #3

Liked 670 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
Sounds like head spacing. Check all of your case dimensions
^^^^^^^^
What he said

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 09-28-2013, 02:28 AM   #4

Liked 1678 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 1128

Have you trimmed your brass?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 09-28-2013, 02:29 AM   #5

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I ran into the same thing a while back and I found my problem in the full length resizing process. I speculate that I resized a batch of cases with the die not screwed in far enough. I troubleshooted this by raising the ram, screwing the full length resize die in until it contacted the shell plate, then lowering the ram and screwing the die in just fraction of a turn more before locking it in place. This method produced a round that chambered easily and allowed smooth closure of the bolt. Lowering the die past the contact point with the shell plate is not good practice, and probably puts unnecessary stress on the press, so I just tinkered with finding that sweet spot in die height and now I just spend a little more time when locking in the resizing die. Problem solved, for me at least. Good luck!

Old 09-28-2013, 04:32 AM   #6

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

You need to bump the shoulder down more, so the bolt will close correctly.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #7

Liked 336 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Had the same problem with my 30/06AI with some 30/06 brass that was given to me. I had to screw the die down about a 1/4 turn more and the cases fed easily after that.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 09-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #8

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdIron44 View Post
I ran into the same thing a while back and I found my problem in the full length resizing process. I speculate that I resized a batch of cases with the die not screwed in far enough. I troubleshooted this by raising the ram, screwing the full length resize die in until it contacted the shell plate, then lowering the ram and screwing the die in just fraction of a turn more before locking it in place. This method produced a round that chambered easily and allowed smooth closure of the bolt. Lowering the die past the contact point with the shell plate is not good practice, and probably puts unnecessary stress on the press, so I just tinkered with finding that sweet spot in die height and now I just spend a little more time when locking in the resizing die. Problem solved, for me at least. Good luck!
You hit the nail on the head.....anytime I FLR any of my 308 brass I check it in my rifle to see whether the bolt closes smoothly,if it doesn't and it sticky or hard I turn the die down a little at a time until the bolt closes nicely....you do that and guaranteed you won't have any issues whatsoever....cheers

Old 09-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #9

Liked 554 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 283

Are you Full Length sizing or Neck sizing?
If you are FL sizing then, as stated above you may have to screw the die into the press to get more shoulder bump.

If you are neck sizing then it may be time to FL size your brass.

How did you set up your FL die?

How did you set up your Seating die? If you have this set up improperly you may be buckling the case with an unwanted crimp causing chambering issues.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Sorry it took a while to back to y'all. I FL size all my cases I messed my dies and its still doing the samething. I trim all my brass after i size them. But its only happening with Winchester brass but it works find with Remington brass.