Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   I can't figure out whats wrong with my reloads? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/i-cant-figure-out-whats-wrong-my-reloads-97752/)

bigdaddy573 09-28-2013 02:03 AM

I can't figure out whats wrong with my reloads?

Alright I been loading for a while and Im having problems with my 22-250. Im loading 55gr v-max at 2.344 and it chambers find but its hard to close my bolt. I tried to seat my bullet deeper and its the same problem. so I switched bullets and weights to 50gr and it still doing the samething?

magnumman 09-28-2013 02:13 AM

Sounds like head spacing. Check all of your case dimensions

CourtJester 09-28-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman (Post 1386007)
Sounds like head spacing. Check all of your case dimensions

^^^^^^^^
What he said

Rick1967 09-28-2013 02:28 AM

Have you trimmed your brass?

ColdIron44 09-28-2013 02:29 AM

I ran into the same thing a while back and I found my problem in the full length resizing process. I speculate that I resized a batch of cases with the die not screwed in far enough. I troubleshooted this by raising the ram, screwing the full length resize die in until it contacted the shell plate, then lowering the ram and screwing the die in just fraction of a turn more before locking it in place. This method produced a round that chambered easily and allowed smooth closure of the bolt. Lowering the die past the contact point with the shell plate is not good practice, and probably puts unnecessary stress on the press, so I just tinkered with finding that sweet spot in die height and now I just spend a little more time when locking in the resizing die. Problem solved, for me at least. Good luck!

bntyhntr6975 09-28-2013 04:32 AM

You need to bump the shoulder down more, so the bolt will close correctly.

hairbear1 09-28-2013 04:40 AM

Had the same problem with my 30/06AI with some 30/06 brass that was given to me. I had to screw the die down about a 1/4 turn more and the cases fed easily after that.

Wouva1 09-28-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdIron44 (Post 1386021)
I ran into the same thing a while back and I found my problem in the full length resizing process. I speculate that I resized a batch of cases with the die not screwed in far enough. I troubleshooted this by raising the ram, screwing the full length resize die in until it contacted the shell plate, then lowering the ram and screwing the die in just fraction of a turn more before locking it in place. This method produced a round that chambered easily and allowed smooth closure of the bolt. Lowering the die past the contact point with the shell plate is not good practice, and probably puts unnecessary stress on the press, so I just tinkered with finding that sweet spot in die height and now I just spend a little more time when locking in the resizing die. Problem solved, for me at least. Good luck!

You hit the nail on the head.....anytime I FLR any of my 308 brass I check it in my rifle to see whether the bolt closes smoothly,if it doesn't and it sticky or hard I turn the die down a little at a time until the bolt closes nicely....you do that and guaranteed you won't have any issues whatsoever....cheers

mseric 09-28-2013 06:31 AM

Are you Full Length sizing or Neck sizing?
If you are FL sizing then, as stated above you may have to screw the die into the press to get more shoulder bump.

If you are neck sizing then it may be time to FL size your brass.

How did you set up your FL die?

How did you set up your Seating die? If you have this set up improperly you may be buckling the case with an unwanted crimp causing chambering issues.

bigdaddy573 09-28-2013 10:13 PM

Sorry it took a while to back to y'all. I FL size all my cases I messed my dies and its still doing the samething. I trim all my brass after i size them. But its only happening with Winchester brass but it works find with Remington brass.