Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   I am soooo excited........ (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/i-am-soooo-excited-92513/)

Anna_Purna 06-19-2013 04:05 AM

I am soooo excited........
 
For the first time ever in attempting to resize some 270 Win brass down to 25.06 Rem brass, and they all went perfectly! No crumpling, or anything from the lube. Now I just need to find that dang lathe thinghy for trimming off the extra length. Just thought I'd gloat over my success. :cool:

nitestalker 06-19-2013 04:15 AM

Anna you need a case trimmer or trim die. The real crucial point in sizing down is not just trim length. You will need a neck ID reamer for a .257 caliber bullet. The excesses metal in the neck will create a very high pressure peak. When sizing down ream the ID. When trimming length in fired brass you turn the OD. The neck does not increase in length without uneven flow in the neck OD.:)

Rick1967 06-19-2013 04:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very nice. I have gone the other way. I have used 270 to make 8mm mauser. I had to expand it in several passes to keep from splitting the cases. When I trimmed them to length I used a chamfer and deburing tool. In wasn't made to shorten much. So I put the brass in the chuck of my cordless drill. It took them down pretty quick. Mine looks like this.

Anna_Purna 06-19-2013 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1280480)
Anna you need a case trimmer or trim die. The real crucial point in sizing down is not just trim length. You will need a neck ID reamer for a .257 caliber bullet. The excesses metal in the neck will create a very high pressure peak. When sizing down ream the ID. When trimming length in fired brass you turn the OD. The neck does not increase in length without uneven flow in the neck OD.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 1280481)
Very nice. I have gone the other way. I have used 270 to make 8mm mauser. I had to expand it in several passes to keep from splitting the cases. When I trimmed them to length I used a chamfer and deburing tool. In wasn't made to shorten much. So I put the brass in the chuck of my cordless drill. It took them down pretty quick. Mine looks like this.

Thanks for the tips Terry. With all this studying I have been doing of late has made me forget about everything my dad taught me. I have the very same thing Rick just posted a picture of. Is that the neck ID reamer you speak of?

And thanks Rick. I am now considering using 30.06 to make into 25.06. With a 270 die in between. Anyone have tips?

nitestalker 06-19-2013 04:34 AM

Before forming brass always anneal the necks. This will allow a more even brass flow and resist the expander ball from stretching the necks.:)

nitestalker 06-19-2013 04:46 AM

Anna that is a chamfer and deburring tool. Those are only used to remove burrs from the OD and ID after trimming. The neck ID reamer fits in a case trimmer and reduces the ID of the neck to the proper reformed size. In your case a .257 reamer will be needed. During reloading as you know the expander ball will stretch and thicken the neck. In this case the neck is trimmed on the OD with an adjustable neck turning device on a case trimmer. In order to test for neck thickness in a fired case the bullet should drop freely through the neck. This is done before the case neck is re-sized. :)

nitestalker 06-19-2013 04:56 AM

So far as sizing down 06' brass to 25-06 using the .270 die is OK. But may not be necessary. The key to this is to anneal the 06' brass and be aware the shoulder is not properly formed and the neck ID is too thick as is the OAL. The case must then be fireformed in a 25-06 chamber with a mild load to form the 25-06 shoulder angle. Small charges of pistol powder topped with corn meal can produce an even shoulder. THe necks are plugged with wax. Keep the barrel clear.:)

therewolf 06-19-2013 05:00 AM

That's why I'm clinging on to every last 30.06 cartridge

I can glom on to. They are a starter shell for sooo many

calibers.

Anna_Purna 06-19-2013 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1280511)
So far as sizing down 06' brass to 25-06 using the .270 die is OK. But may not be necessary. The key to this is to anneal the 06' brass and be aware the shoulder is not properly formed and the neck ID is too thick as is the OAL. The case must then be fireformed in a 25-06 chamber with a mild load to form the 25-06 shoulder angle. Small charges of pistol powder topped with corn meal can produce an even shoulder. THe necks are plugged with wax. Keep the barrel clear.:)

Sounds too complicated. :(

And thanks for the info :)

nitestalker 06-19-2013 05:55 AM

You can short cut case forming. The problem is ruptured brass scoring chambers. Head space problems resulting from improper shoulder forming. This can cause blown primers and damaged bolt faces. :eek:


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:20 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.