I added some .45 SD ammo to my collection.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > I added some .45 SD ammo to my collection.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default I added some .45 SD ammo to my collection.

I have had a Colt 1911 for a long time. Since getting it I have been collecting different types of factory SD ammo for it. I have quite a nice collection now and added one more last night. I have wanted some of this Extreme Shock stuff for a while but thought it was too expensive. Cabala's had it marked down from $39.99 to $24.88 and I jumped on it. I don't have to pay any shipping costs when ordering because I use the option of having it delivered to a Cabelas store and they notify me when it arrives.

Have any of you tried this ammo or heard anything about it?

ammo.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #2

Sorry about making this lame post folks.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

This is what I had found on the subject:

Quote:
Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Extreme Shock Ammo - Magic Bullets or Pure Hype?

This ammo is the source of great controversy on gun message boards. It's nothing if not expensive. Prices seem to be close to $1-4/round.

So, is it the next greatest innovation in bullet technology, or is it just hype?

First, let's analyze their claims.

They claim to be in use by many LE agencies although I don't know of any that use them.

From their website:

Over ten years in co-development with Special Operations Groups and Federal Law Enforcement, the new ExtremeShock™ Explosive Entry tactical defense rounds represent the ultimate refinement in lethal bullet technology. The compressed Tungsten-NyTrilium™ Composite fragments upon impact, leaving a wound channel of catastrophic proportions....E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.

Did you get all of that? I don't mean to mock, but what the heck is Tungsten-NyTrilium™? Nobody seems to know for sure. It would seem that it is nothing more than a proprietary marketing buzzword for some sort of magical powder in the bullet.

Also from their website:

An AFR round has completely dumped its entire energy in the first 7", completely disintigrating the ballistic gelatin

A FangFace AntiTerrorism round shows similar energy transfer, with added penetration to a full 14"

ExtremeShock's Unique Nytrilium-Tungsten composite material offers many advantages over other rounds that are designed to break-up on impact.

So, these rounds were apparently designed to "dump energy" and limit penetration it seems.

The problem with these claims is that this is exactly the opposite of what conventional wisdom and testing has shown is needed and desired.

FBI studies have determined that defensive ammo should reliably penetrate a minimum of 12" in ballistic gelatin in order to be an effective manstopper on the streets.

Secondly, when tested, these bullets failed to perform exactly as they were advertised.

The well known website Box O' Truth tested some of these rounds and here were their results.

The Box O' Truth #23 - ExtremeShock™ Ammo and the Box O' Truth - Page 1

The conclusion is this, Extreme Shock ammo is marketing hype and could get you killed. Use premium hollow points made by reputable companies who have made their reputation in the labs and on the streets, such as Winchester, Hornady, Speer, Remington, etc...

Old 12-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You're wasting your money if you buy that stuff. Get a real bullet like Federal HST or hydrashoks, Speer Gold Dots, Winchester Rangers....a good hollow point with a proven history. I prefer a heavier bullet so I would recommend a 230gr +p. Why the +p? If someone is attacking me I want to get every ounce of energy possible out of my side arm. The heavier bullet helps to make sure it carries energy deep enough to get to the vitals, even thru heavy clothing.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've killed 1000 lb. steers with the lowly .22 short. Placement of the projectile has more to do with stopping power than size & speed.

I've never bought a SD round other than white box target ammo. If that don't stop them, then whatever happens, happens.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've never heard of that particular brand/type of ammunition. I stick to Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point, which I use the 147gr 9mm ammunition in my Kahr CM9 and Ruger SR9c.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 12-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
You're wasting your money if you buy that stuff. Get a real bullet like Federal HST or hydrashoks, Speer Gold Dots, Winchester Rangers....a good hollow point with a proven history. I prefer a heavier bullet so I would recommend a 230gr +p. Why the +p? If someone is attacking me I want to get every ounce of energy possible out of my side arm. The heavier bullet helps to make sure it carries energy deep enough to get to the vitals, even thru heavy clothing.
I have all of those you mentioned already. I have the Hornadys, Winchesters, Remingtons, Federals, and many others. I am not sure exactly I started collecting this ammo. I guess I was always concerned that the day may come that this ammo is not available or very, very expensive. Thanks to all for your comments. I appreciate what you had to say.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't ready the title of the thread, so I accidentally said what I carry in 9mm . In .45ACP I still use Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point ammunition, which I use 230gr ammunition.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 12-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #9

Okay, I think I have enough of the different types of ammo for my collection. If it isn't .45acp +P in 230 grain from now on I am not buying it.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #10

Liked 79 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 27

That 'Extreme' ammo had such outrageous advertising, I'm not sure anyone ever fired any of it. I was laughing too hard. It's probably as good as any other but no better, either.

However, since you collect factory ammunition as you mentioned, I think it belongs in a collection. That you got it cheap is even better. Keep the box dusted and intact.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/