Hunting vs. Competition Ammo - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Hunting vs. Competition Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Just buy a desent quality scope ,You don't need a 500 to 1000 dollar scope for a good hunter rifle under for shoots at 500 yards and under as much as your rifle has to find an ammo it shoots best. You may end up reloading. I have simmons atec on a kreiger barreled ruger that shoots hornady heavy mag sst under 2" at 400 yards. For my rifle its accurate and a good killer. You need a great rifle first. Find that part out first. Guys around here use there very good hunting rifles in egg match's with vari up to 10 to 12 power scopes up to 500 yards and then go hunting.

Last edited by hardluk1; 09-11-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Just buy a desent quality scope. You need a great rifle first. Find that part out first. Guys around here use there very good hunting rifles in egg match's with vari up to 10 to 12 power scopes up to 500 yards and then go hunting.
I will be hunting/shooting with a Browning X-Bolt Medallion 30-06. I would say that Browning makes one of the best if not the best hunting rifles around. The optics I will choose for my rifle is a Nikon NIK8440 4-16x50 BDC, BUSE4165 4-16x50, or Leupold 4-12x50 VX-R. I appreciate your input and advice. In a different forum, I have asked specifically about the best scope for that rifle with answers to questions that are on the sticky of that forum.
Please do not be offended, however, I do not completely understand how my original question of which ammo is best for each application is directly related to which optics I choose for my rifle.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:36 AM   #13
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 598

If you reload,Berger makes some of the best bullets that I've tried that are a dual purpose design.The Hunting VLD bullets that Berger makes are super target bullets,and are made to expand for hunting.
There are a couple factory loads that use these bullets also,but you can load them far cheaper.

Cabela's: HSM Trophy Gold™ Rifle Ammuntion

Old 09-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #14

navvet08 Scope does not matter Its all about how your rifle shoots your choice of bullet. You got to try it to find out. That caombo my make a great hunter but be very average on the range. Scope is really a minor part of the mix. Browning makes a good rifle maybe know better a shooter than weatherby vangaurd or savage ,till you fire your choice of ammo you will still not know if it works well in your rifle. In general some rifles shoot hornady's ammo great ,, I have one that loves the old heavy mag 139gr sst but will not shot the 150gr well enought to use it and one rifle that likes nothing hornady. Now shoot your rifle and see how it does. On the scope, It just does not matter much at this point what it is. It could be a S&B or bsa and still show if it can group well.Thats my point. Its way more about your rifle and ammo choices. And as good as vld bullets are you still have to shoot it to see. They are rather explosive up close ,just like ballisitc tips can be.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6015 Times on 3149 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by navvet08 View Post
I will be hunting/shooting with a Browning X-Bolt Medallion 30-06. I would say that Browning makes one of the best if not the best hunting rifles around.
Thats debateable but more a matter of choice than anything. Im assuming you dont reload. If you do reload your ability to better match hunting loads to competition accuracy loads will be a lot easier.

The thing you need to look for is hunting bullets that have very close weight ballistic coefficient and speed to your competition target bullets. The more similar the closer they will match. Thats the easy no effort way and will yield so-so results.

My advice (this is what i do since i use my target rifles for hunting) is to get a small notebook get a scope that has good adjustable turrets where you can easily record your zero in clicks and work up two different sets of scope data. This is where a scope with target style knobs is worth the 500-1000 price. Its a lot more work but it works verrrrrrry well with very good results if you put out the effort.

I know its not really part of your question but hunting rifles seldom work well in a competition role due to the very thin barrels. Hunting rifles are designed to take one shot and thats it for the day. In competition your taking many shots heating the barrel up. The thin barrels work great for hunting where weight is sometimes an issue but not so great for multiple shots. Take it for what its worth.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 09-14-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #16

Hardluk,

Thanks, i apologize for not understanding your earlier post. I would have never known that guns are like people and could prefer different ammunitions. I do not know near as much about firearms even the guys behind the sporting goods counter at walmart do. That is why I am here, I do not believe in "dumb" questions, just ignorance. I appreciate your advice and comments and greatly appreciate your guidance without making me feel stupid. I do not currently have the rifle. My brother is giving it to me for Christmas as he already has two other 30-06's. As soon as I get it, i will shoot it definitely and find out which ammo shoots best. I will keep you updated with the results and maybe you could give further guidance. One more question: I would assume that the reason every rifle reacts differently to different ammo is because every rifle has different twist ratios and also different twist patterns. Would this be a correct assumption?

Jon,

Like Hardluk, you have also given me great info. No, I do not reload. However, one of the local gun shops where I buy the majority of my ammo and weapons hosts a weekly or bi-weekly class on reloading. I believe that this will be a great opportunity for me to learn and grow. Thanks for your input and your patience as you guide/teach me in the right direction. I will be asking many more questions regarding this topic and others as time goes on.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #17

Good kuck with with your rifle and finding that perfect choice of ammo.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

guns have manufacturing tolerances, just like anything that is machined. tolerances change minute amounts during machining operations. take ten factory rifles from the same day, in the same caliber and shoot them. you will fine that noe of them shoot exactly the same. this applies to any rifle, handgun or shotgun regardless of the maker. if you don't reload, then you are then limited in what ammo is factory loaded. buy a bunch of different brands and bullet weights, then go to the range and try them out. you will be very amused at the difference in the performance of them. when you find one that works well, buy a bunch of that one, then practice and then practice some more. most target shooters reload. they try many different combinations to find just the right load. they also build their rifles from the ground up. these guys are not shooting off the shelf rifles. they match their barrels twist rate to the size of bullet they intend to shoot and the distance they will shoot at. these guys will spend more on a barrel than most of us spend on an entire gun or even several. some of them spend thousands of dollars trying to poke very small holes at great distances and true gun fanatics. lots of them even have bulletmakers make custom bullets for them. competion shooters are different type of shooter, and spend lots of money and time, and do lots of research. plus they shoot a lot!

Last edited by Axxe55; 09-20-2011 at 12:37 PM.