You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

HP38 Load issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2015, 02:09 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1783 Times on 1046 Posts
Likes Given: 312

Default HP38 Load issue

For the first time I've run into an issue.

So far, I've targeted the middle of a load and never had an issue. I've loaded 231 and right in the middle of the load resulted in velocity right in the middle. Moved on to CFEP, and no matter what bullet, it worked no problem. Found it to be too dirty and went to HP-38.

Hornady HAP 125. 3.1gr 1.069 OAL.

Thanks to my prior great experience, I expected same level of performance. Wife and I went to the range and as she got into those rounds, fail to eject, stove pipe, all kinds of fun. She tried both her 9's, no diff. So I grabbed my comp gun which eats everything I put into it... same thing.

Could I have a bad batch of powder? I did buy this from an online source, could they have sent me some bait and switch?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #2

Liked 3467 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
For the first time I've run into an issue.

So far, I've targeted the middle of a load and never had an issue. I've loaded 231 and right in the middle of the load resulted in velocity right in the middle. Moved on to CFEP, and no matter what bullet, it worked no problem. Found it to be too dirty and went to HP-38.

Hornady HAP 125. 3.1gr 1.069 OAL.

Thanks to my prior great experience, I expected same level of performance. Wife and I went to the range and as she got into those rounds, fail to eject, stove pipe, all kinds of fun. She tried both her 9's, no diff. So I grabbed my comp gun which eats everything I put into it... same thing.

Could I have a bad batch of powder? I did buy this from an online source, could they have sent me some bait and switch?
Most of the starting loads I find are beginning at 4.1gr. So, those are probably considered reduced loads at best. May have to scrap that lot, or pull the bullets and recharge. Also can look at reduced power springs. Hopefully you started with a small lot as s new load.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11248 Times on 5966 Posts
Likes Given: 10934

The HAP is a "Match-Target" design, so the loading data is extremely low.The HAP data is for pistols with greatly reduced spring weight for competition.

Try it with 3.5-4.0 grains and I'll betcha your problems go bye-bye!
History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.
Douglas MacArthur

If you think a strong military is expensive, think about what a weak one would cost
People Like This 
Old 11-15-2015, 12:21 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I grabbed a shell out of the Dillon and weighed the powder...

Holy crap, my 650 has dropped the exact same amount of powder, within the accuracy of my one decimal place digital scale, each and every time I've every weighed it.

How I suddenly ended, and even more importantly when, started dropping 2.0g... sigh.

There's an easy 750 rounds over three different sessions

First up, pull some bullets out of each batch and weigh the powder. Maybe I'll get lucky, and it's only the last batch of 200.

then I have to figure out why and how I went from perfect drops to this mess

finally, I want to understand the higher powder suggestion

Old 11-16-2015, 01:41 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

[QUOTE=partdeux;1754252

finally, I want to understand the higher powder suggestion [/QUOTE]

Target shooters want low recoil, low velocity, and high accuracy. They load down to very low levels with small powder charges and put weaker recoil springs in their match guns to function with the reduced loads.

Normal service pistols require higher pressure than most target loads generate to function with reliability.

If you set up a gun for duty/carry, and put in a heavier spring, it may need +P or even +P+ to function reliably.

All of my 9MMs are set up with heavy springs, reliable with loads like Win. White Box, Rem. UMC, federal American Eagle, etc. They need +P or +P+
History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.
Douglas MacArthur

If you think a strong military is expensive, think about what a weak one would cost
mseric Likes This 
Old 11-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4117 Times on 2103 Posts
Likes Given: 523

I load 125 gr HAP bullets with 4.5 grains of HP-38. 3.1 is light. 2.0 is ridiculous.

I check powder drop every 100 rds. My OLD Dillon RL450 is match consistent.

If I am loading a "plinking" load, I use 125 gr cast bullets. The HAP is not designed for expansion, but through a 16" AR and a warm load, it expands nicely and controllably. Many conventional HP bullets over expand at the increased velocities of the rifle
locutus Likes This 
Old 11-18-2015, 11:15 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

what OAL are you using?

4.5 is crazy, that must fill the entire case?

Old 11-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
what OAL are you using?

4.5 is crazy, that must fill the entire case?
That's a pretty normal load. Hodgdon lists it at 32 KPSI. Way, way below max pressure.

And what's wrong with filling the case? Compressed loads are usually more efficient (velocity per grain of powder) and more accurate)
Douglas MacArthur

mseric Likes This 
Old 11-25-2015, 11:31 PM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4117 Times on 2103 Posts
Likes Given: 523

I load most pistol ammo to max oal. Just fits the magazine w/o contact. That load shoots one hole 7 yard groups in most every gun I've ever run it through

Old 11-26-2015, 01:35 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have a better understanding of why the OAL is so short. Bullet design has it hitting the rifling much sooner than most other bullets. However, that powder is still too light.

Stepping way out of recipe, set the OAL to 1.125 with 4.2gr. Awesome very accurate rounds, no cycling issue, but only ran it through my comp gun... however, a few rounds needed a little extra encouragement to chamber.

I made a few with OAL of 1.09, as it looks like 1.100 still contacts the rifling.

I'm baffled by the low charge and slow speeds in the recipe for this bullet, when other similar wt bullets use a much higher charge. I called Hodgdon for guidance and info and got the "corporate" answer.