Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > How will the summer heat affect...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Affect my groups that I have developed during this winter? I always reload in the house so the ammo has maybe 2 minutes to get outside temp before I shoot a 3 rd group, so say from inside at 70 to outside at about 35 to 40. Would I have to use a touch less of powder in the heat to get the same sub MOA groups that I developed this winter ? Is there a " in General rule that applies ? Thanks

Last edited by Tenderribbs; 02-27-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5315 Times on 2774 Posts
Likes Given: 335

only way to tell is by trying em.

each rifle is going to react differently to weather conditions and ammo build. just write down your winter recipe and try it and see if it sucks in summer start building a summer load.

sometimes thats all you can do.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2221 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

Ribbs,

JonM, Is correct! Each rifle if you call it will have it's own personality regarding conditions so you will have to see.
As far as loading it in the winter in 70 degrees and going immediately to the range and shooting it without it being exposed to the elements or direct sun light and heat. It probably will make little difference. But if it remains in the heat for a period of time long enough to allow the temperature of the round to change it certainly can cause a difference. Usually normally due to the following. *I have on occasion but not often, seen effect on the group.
As a rule the consensus is that if at the location the altitude, barometric,humidity stay the same. Increase in air temperature (ammunition warming up!) will usually cause the rounds to fly flatter due for one, if the air gets hotter it is less dense. And in the case of internal ballistics the round getting warmer the higher temperature causes the Nitrocellulose in the powder to burn at a faster rate. Therefore generating an increase in pressure. For example some studies have shown that an increase 1.5 to 1.8 degrees could increase the flight of the bullet to +3.5 Feet Per Seconds. So as an example a 40 degree increase of the cartridge heat (As left exposed to sun light) could increase the flight of the bullet in the case of the 3.5 FPS to that of 140 Feet Per Second. So this is just an example of the effect of temperature. Obviously colder would have an opposite effect. But Jon refered to testing is required as stated and each particular rifle has different effects.
But if you load them at 70 degrees in the winter and you zeroed the rifle in that temperature range by putting them in a pocket or bag and go straight out and shoot them you should notice little difference at all. But let them heat up or cool down significantly and then the above applies.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #4

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Thanks sniper and Jon that's the type info I'm interested in .

Old 02-28-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Some powders are temperature sensitive,and they will do weird things.
I've had some loads for my 458 SOCOM that I developed in the summertime,they shot sub-moa - But come fall,and the temps were 30-40 degree's cooler,the same loads had pressure signs,and shot 3-4 moa. So I had to rework the load for cooler weather,I dropped the powder charge .6 or .7 gr to get the pressure down,and it shoots well,but not near as good as the warm weather load.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5192 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 4411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Some powders are temperature sensitive,and they will do weird things.
I've had some loads for my 458 SOCOM that I developed in the summertime,they shot sub-moa - But come fall,and the temps were 30-40 degree's cooler,the same loads had pressure signs,and shot 3-4 moa. So I had to rework the load for cooler weather,I dropped the powder charge .6 or .7 gr to get the pressure down,and it shoots well,but not near as good as the warm weather load.
There are several factors. Wood or synthetic, full bedded or free float, but in my experience the powder is the primary controlling factor.

Golda Meier.