Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > How valuable is the ability to reload ammo to you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default How valuable is the ability to reload ammo to you?

So I ended up having yesterday off(found out Friday) and I spent a good part of the day replenishing my target ammo in both pistol and shotgun. Reloading pistol ammo saves me quite a bit of money along with all the other benefits. My question is about shotgun reloading. I started to figure out what I need to spend to reload target/dove rounds and I can actually buy them cheaper at the local Wal Mart then I can reload them. I loaded enough yesterday to last for quite awhile and the thought of getting rid of the press crossed my mind. The only reason I wouldn't is in case I can no longer buy ammo as I currently can which is a very real possibilty. Anyone have any thoughts?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

When we make our next and hopefully, final, move later this year, I plan to start reloading. It's another facet of firearms to explore and it makes sense to me financially as well.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #3

If anything i personally find it relaxing.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. "" - Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If your looking at just a cost savings, sometimes it save, and sometimes it doesn't.

In my case twice a year I go to a MG shoot, where I can freely shoot tracer ammo. My beltfed is in 30-06 and you can't buy no-where's 30-06 tracer ammunition. And if you could, today it would be $1.50/round.

I have 20k in .30cal M25 tracer projectiles and about 12k in shot once 30-06 brass. In this case there is no other solution then to reload.

Then I look to .223. Yes you can buy new ammo for between $.40-$.60 per round. But to feed our M16, AC556, Mini-14 and AR15, even $.40 per round becomes prohibited. Oh and I like shooting tracers in these guns also and they cost over $1.00 per round. Again having a supply of .223 projectiles and shot once brass, the cost to me is around $.22 per round.

OH - I also forgot - its really fun & relaxing.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

For shotgun it is easy to fall into the comparison trap with Wally World bargain Dove and Quail loads. To me there is no comparison between my 1 1/8 oz load and the bare bones (crap) load. To realistically compare performance you would have to look at the AA load. They pattern better than the generic stuff. I think they shoot softer too. The AA load uses a cushion wad like the WAA12 (white) wad I use. The wad makes a difference in the felt recoil and the patern density.

Comparing the two would be like comparing Winchester Combined Technology .308 ammo with Portugese 7.62 Nato M-80 ball ammo. They will both go bang in a rifle but their performance down range is like night and day.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Last edited by robocop10mm; 05-27-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:28 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Carrying what Robocop said a step further, I reload mainly because I can make more accurate ammo than I can buy, unless I am willing to spend upwards of $28/box of 20 for Match ammo. I am not willing! The same ammo selling for $28/box can be made at home for less than$10. The only problem is I've been waiting since Mar.1st for primers. Even .22 ammo is unavailable now. I am considering spending $350 on a .32cal Muzzleloading Squirrel Rifle and several pounds of lead and black powder just to keep up the skills.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-27-2009 at 01:31 AM.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for all the input. I agree with all the statements regarding pistol and rifle reloads, mine are much more accurate then factory loads. My shotshells aren't as concerning for me since the only ones I've reloaded so far are for clays but I have no doubt they are better then crap ammo, as robo put it. I never really concidered Federal target loads crap but maybe I have lower standards and their hulls seem to reload well, not as nice STS hulls though, I like them alot.
I do find reloading relaxing and I enjoy taking game with my reloads as well. I'll hang on to the presses and use them as I need them. I'm going to have to buy some more shot though!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-28-2009, 02:51 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

While I wouldn't even THINK of shooting factory ammo in some of my rifles, I HAVE to reload handgun ammo as well. I quit reloading shotgun ammo as It's not much of a challenge to shoot claybirds with shotgun-they're too crunchy too! I just don't shoot much shotgun ammo anymore.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:47 AM   #9

waiting on primers is HORRIBLE! I hate shooting factory ammo but I hog hunt 3 days every month and alot of the time im stuck paying the ridiculous price of factory ammo

As far as shotgun ammo I dont shoot shell's, only in dove season and the occasional clay's. So in my case i dont mind paying the price. If did a TON of bird hunting i would 100% reload my own shells.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:52 AM   #10

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's not except from a SHTF perspective. I can only stockpile so much ammo and eventually you will have to barter, steal or reload.

People get the government they deserve.