Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > How Valid Are These 380 Ballistics Numbers Do You Think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default How Valid Are These 380 Ballistics Numbers Do You Think?

I have a SW 380 BG and was thinking of looking for some +P ammo to test out with it (SW says OK just not on regular basis) for my carry loads and I ran across this info. Some pretty crazy numbers... what do you think?

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

First off there is NO SAAMI standard for .380 +P. It is an attachment some people arbitrarily attach to an ammunition label that means little. Anyone who markets .380 +P ammo is NOT a SAAMI member.

To get higher velocities with any ammo you must either exceed standard pressures of lighten the projectile (or both).

Not sure what you are asking. Is it safe to shoot a few of these listed rounds through your BG? Probably. Excessive pressures WILL lead to accellerated wear and MAY cause blown cases and damaged guns.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
First off there is NO SAAMI standard for .380 +P. It is an attachment some people arbitrarily attach to an ammunition label that means little. Anyone who markets .380 +P ammo is NOT a SAAMI member.

To get higher velocities with any ammo you must either exceed standard pressures of lighten the projectile (or both).

Not sure what you are asking. Is it safe to shoot a few of these listed rounds through your BG? Probably. Excessive pressures WILL lead to accellerated wear and MAY cause blown cases and damaged guns.
Well I am just asking your opinion on some of these numbers such as the RBCD round with a 1835 Muzzle Velocity ft/sec. from a 380 round... seriously... it is half the weight of the standard round so I suppose it's possible but...

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 06-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Yes that puts us in the realm of light/fast vs heavy/slow. When the typical (90 gr) .380 bullet is already light, cutting the weight in half is a poor choice. IMHO

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Yes that puts us in the realm of light/fast vs heavy/slow. When the typical (90 gr) .380 bullet is already light, cutting the weight in half is a poor choice. IMHO
Yeah I wouldn't use it either, I just kinda was thinking those speeds couldn't be reached any way you configured a 380 short of packing it with C4

Old 06-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 146

They don't say on the mfg site how they tested. Maybe a 6" test barrel. ?

3d Infantry Division
"Dogface Soldier"
Beretta 70 Collection
FEG Collection
SKS Fan

Old 06-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #7

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Light bullets make a BIG difference. Many years ago Remington made a 22 short round that went over 1500 fps! As the bullet gets lighter the pressure often drops alot. Not much case capacity with a 380 though. Might not function in all autos because of the light bullets.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.