Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > how to reload bullets. what it takes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default how to reload bullets. what it takes.

I was wondering what i would need to do my own reloads and how i would go about doing that. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #2

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Check our resources:

Reloading 101, Great starting point.

New to Reloading? L@@k here.

Which Press is right for me? The Answer.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #3

Liked 2175 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Additionally:

Amazon.com: ABC's of Reloading (9780873491907): C. Rodney James: Books

I would also check out the Lyman 49th edition reloading manual. It has a good bit of starting info. To be fair others do as well, this just happens to be the first one I bought.

NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 08-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

alot of money, and pacients

Old 08-24-2011, 03:31 AM   #5

If you shop your local classifieds, you can find good deals on a used single stage press, from somebody that didn't have enough patience

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #6

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you are trying to get into it for cheap look into the Lee hand press. you can get them on midway for about $35-$40.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:40 PM   #7

Liked 7546 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

As said, first buy should be a book. The Lyman is very good, would also suggest you check Amazon for a copy of ABCs of Reloading. Get one (or both) and read before buying anything.

Hardware- you will need a press, shell holders, dies, brass, powder, primers, bullets, and a scale. It is DANGED hard to wear out a press or dies. Shop carefully for used sets (ebay) AFTER YOU READ THE BOOK. You can also buy a set that has all the basic gear.

After the bare basics, there are all sorts of goodies you may WANT- a tumbler, case trimmer, powder measure, primer pocket cleaner, chamfering tool, coffee warmer and bagel toaster, etc.

Will you SAVE money? Depends on what you load. .38 Wadcutter or 9mm Parabellum? Borderline- but I cast my own bullets, brass has real long life- but that is so cheap as store bought, it is a close call.

But I also have a Winchester Mdl 71, in .348 Winchester- retails for about $65 per 20 rounds. THAT I WILL save money on!

But reloading is a hobby- allows me to make my own, customized light or heavy, I can make match quality ammo- and when it is too cold or wet to go shooting, it gives you something to do in the man-cave.

And where else can I readily find 200 grain 357 Magnums?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #8

Default What do I need to start reloading...

Go to DILLON.COM & order a catalog. They offer the best, fastest, safest, reloading machines.
To have your bullits look like factory ammo: You will need the Press (progressive presses pratically make bullits by themselfs), Tool dies-come with Dillon presses for any size cartrige, Digital scale is the fastest & easiest: (measures gun powder in grains per cartrige), Digital calipers: (for measuring bullits, length, diameter, etc.), Case gauge: (also measures bullit by chamber size), Primer flip tray: (for flipping primers to correct size to put in primer tube), Casing cleaning machine: (vibrates casings & corn to polish them), Casing seperator: (cleans corn from casings), then all you need is gun powder, casings, primers, & bullits. Buy many reloading books to get lots of recipes. Have I forgotten any thing? My choice was the Dillon XL650, I spent about $1500. for everything to make 45ACP & 9MM: (I bought two of things to switch over the press real easy & fast). That also included 2000 rounds of ammo: (cases, primers, bullits, gun powder, etc.). I have made over 15000 rounds so far without any double charges or empty casings, due to the great safty features built into the press, some optional. The press is rated for 800-1000 rounds per hour, I can make about 600 rounds per hr. safely. Also it is alot of fun to make your own ammo & can be more accurate than factory ammo. You can go cheaper, but you get what you pay for & Dillon is top of the line quality.
Hope this was some help! Good Luck!!

Old 09-02-2011, 01:36 AM   #9

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I been reloading for almost 30 years now and I still have not made up the out lay of money vs. savings on ammo. I do save some reloading .40 S&W, .45auto, .38spl/.357mag and my .308. The .308 is to reload match grade ammo and by doing my own I save quite a bit.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:56 AM   #10

Liked 1415 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 989

I started on the Lee hand press. I have seen them for as little as $26 brand new. You can often find dies at yard sales. But you realy need a book. It is more than just popping out a primer, sticking in a new one with some powder and a bullet. Trying to get started without doing the proper reading is a good way to hurt yourself or someone else. Spend the $25 or $30. Your safety is worth it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.