Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   how to reload bullets. what it takes. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/how-reload-bullets-what-takes-47248/)

bigslouchy 08-23-2011 03:26 PM

how to reload bullets. what it takes.

I was wondering what i would need to do my own reloads and how i would go about doing that. Thanks

canebrake 08-23-2011 03:36 PM

Check our resources:

Reloading 101, Great starting point.

New to Reloading? L@@k here.

Which Press is right for me? The Answer.

Overkill0084 08-23-2011 06:29 PM

Additionally:

Amazon.com: ABC's of Reloading (9780873491907): C. Rodney James: Books

I would also check out the Lyman 49th edition reloading manual. It has a good bit of starting info. To be fair others do as well, this just happens to be the first one I bought.

moneymaker17 08-24-2011 01:16 AM

alot of money, and pacients

Gordo323 08-24-2011 03:31 AM

If you shop your local classifieds, you can find good deals on a used single stage press, from somebody that didn't have enough patience :)

magnumman 09-01-2011 10:46 PM

If you are trying to get into it for cheap look into the Lee hand press. you can get them on midway for about $35-$40.

c3shooter 09-01-2011 11:40 PM

As said, first buy should be a book. The Lyman is very good, would also suggest you check Amazon for a copy of ABCs of Reloading. Get one (or both) and read before buying anything.

Hardware- you will need a press, shell holders, dies, brass, powder, primers, bullets, and a scale. It is DANGED hard to wear out a press or dies. Shop carefully for used sets (ebay) AFTER YOU READ THE BOOK. You can also buy a set that has all the basic gear.

After the bare basics, there are all sorts of goodies you may WANT- a tumbler, case trimmer, powder measure, primer pocket cleaner, chamfering tool, coffee warmer and bagel toaster, etc.

Will you SAVE money? Depends on what you load. .38 Wadcutter or 9mm Parabellum? Borderline- but I cast my own bullets, brass has real long life- but that is so cheap as store bought, it is a close call.

But I also have a Winchester Mdl 71, in .348 Winchester- retails for about $65 per 20 rounds. THAT I WILL save money on!

But reloading is a hobby- allows me to make my own, customized light or heavy, I can make match quality ammo- and when it is too cold or wet to go shooting, it gives you something to do in the man-cave.

And where else can I readily find 200 grain 357 Magnums?

XDM45ACP 09-02-2011 12:28 AM

What do I need to start reloading...

Go to DILLON.COM & order a catalog. They offer the best, fastest, safest, reloading machines.
To have your bullits look like factory ammo: You will need the Press (progressive presses pratically make bullits by themselfs), Tool dies-come with Dillon presses for any size cartrige, Digital scale is the fastest & easiest: (measures gun powder in grains per cartrige), Digital calipers: (for measuring bullits, length, diameter, etc.), Case gauge: (also measures bullit by chamber size), Primer flip tray: (for flipping primers to correct size to put in primer tube), Casing cleaning machine: (vibrates casings & corn to polish them), Casing seperator: (cleans corn from casings), then all you need is gun powder, casings, primers, & bullits. Buy many reloading books to get lots of recipes. Have I forgotten any thing? My choice was the Dillon XL650, I spent about $1500. for everything to make 45ACP & 9MM: (I bought two of things to switch over the press real easy & fast). That also included 2000 rounds of ammo: (cases, primers, bullits, gun powder, etc.). I have made over 15000 rounds so far without any double charges or empty casings, due to the great safty features built into the press, some optional. The press is rated for 800-1000 rounds per hour, I can make about 600 rounds per hr. safely. Also it is alot of fun to make your own ammo & can be more accurate than factory ammo. You can go cheaper, but you get what you pay for & Dillon is top of the line quality.
Hope this was some help! Good Luck!!

opaww 09-02-2011 01:36 AM

I been reloading for almost 30 years now and I still have not made up the out lay of money vs. savings on ammo. I do save some reloading .40 S&W, .45auto, .38spl/.357mag and my .308. The .308 is to reload match grade ammo and by doing my own I save quite a bit.

Rick1967 09-02-2011 02:56 AM

I started on the Lee hand press. I have seen them for as little as $26 brand new. You can often find dies at yard sales. But you realy need a book. It is more than just popping out a primer, sticking in a new one with some powder and a bullet. Trying to get started without doing the proper reading is a good way to hurt yourself or someone else. Spend the $25 or $30. Your safety is worth it.