Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   How much would you pay before...... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/how-much-would-you-pay-before-18377/)

Gojubrian 09-22-2009 01:16 PM

How much would you pay before......

You either switched calibers or sold some guns altogether?

Let's say .45acp 230gr fmj wwb's were going for $98 for 100rds. Would you still pay? More? Prices are going up!!

I'm trying to decide what is feasable, reasonable, or just plain stupid.

Not for reloaders!!

NGIB 09-22-2009 01:22 PM

My first duty station in the Air Force was Topeka Kansas in 1972. When I arrived there, gas was about .25 cents a gallon. Over the next 2 years and considering the oil shortages, gas went to double that price. I remember telling myself very sternly that if gas ever got to a buck a gallon - I'd quit driving.

We'll all pay whatever it costs to do the things we want to do. No, I don't like paying the current ammo prices - but what choice is there really? I've cut back on the amount of .45 I shoot - but I still shoot .45 in a 1911 and I always will...

CA357 09-22-2009 03:33 PM

I don't shoot as much as I used to and I buy a box or two to cover range times. I bought a bunch back before the insanity started and it's stashed for SHTF or unexpected situations.

TXnorton 09-22-2009 04:44 PM

One word.............Reload.

feedsasquatch 09-23-2009 02:00 PM

Once ammo is $1 a round online, I'll pick up reloading...

OC357 09-23-2009 02:12 PM

I have already switched/combined some calibers. This helps so that I don't have to buy so much different caliber ammo. That is one way to cut down on ammo expense I guess. I try to now keep very stocked up, and mostly only shoot 2 calibers on a weekly basis. I don't know at what price ammo would have to be to stop buying it, but what I am more concerned about is availability I guess.

Just some thoughts.

OC

gadrooning 09-23-2009 02:14 PM

Second that. I think most of us will pay whatever the prices are on ammo. We would just have to make some sacrifices and adjustments. I won't and cannot stop shooting my 1911 as well. I ended up picking up a 22 conversion kit for the 1911 just to keep the cost down now. Doesn't have the trill of the big bang but it is good for accuracy training and point shooting.

notdku 09-23-2009 02:36 PM

I think with anything here in the USA once ammo gets to be too much there will be a black market that springs up of illegal cheap ammo smuggled from Mexico/Canada.

That's what amazes me about our system. Drugs, cigarettes, etc. You tax something enough, people still want it, so a black market pops up which is far worse then just stripping away laws/taxes.

1hole 09-23-2009 05:11 PM

"Once ammo is $1 a round online, I'll pick up reloading... "

Wellll, lessee; military surplus ammo for my 1903A3 .30-06 was a dollar a box and commercial stuff almost three times that when I started reloading. Bullets sold for around $3 a hundred, primers were $6 a thousand, power ran around $2.80 a pound. Postage stamps were $.03 each.

Now, how much would inflation over 48 years stretch that amount to? The price of things doesn't mean a thing in reaility, all that matters is how many hours we must work to attain it. Most stuff, including gasoline, "costs" about the same as it did in the 50s. We are stagnant in that increases in wages have been almost perfectly off-set by increases in prices. In fact wage levels have largely driven the increase in prices since the gov. started "running" the economy in the early 30s but the TAXES on those wages has gone up, a LOT!

Planned, deliberate Gov. driven inflation (support of unions, amongst many other things) has been the biggest force pushing up prices while devaluing the dollar. But, the politicians ,union bosses and bankers know it helps to keep the peasants happy by letting them think their "pay" has risen. NOT, really!

Gov. "minimum" wages were instituted to force pay increases for non-union workers to have some hope of surviving in an economy driven by big unions. But, "big" nothing, big business, big unions OR big government, is a working man's friend; they all view us a peasants, peons really, to be manipulated and controlled by dangling carrots in front of our noses. Works too.

Enough.