How Much Would I Save? (.45)
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > How Much Would I Save? (.45)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How Much Would I Save? (.45)

Looking for cheap bullets for target practice in .45. Tul Ammo winds out to be about 28 per bullet. Can I do better than that if I start reloading?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6672 Times on 3551 Posts
Likes Given: 503

easily. especially if you use lead bullets. initial cost of the gear and cases will be a bit more but after a few runs of 500 rounds it all pays for itself and you start paying less.

i dont think of it as saving anything since your spending money, what you ARE doing is shooting more for the same expenditure.

if your reloading to just stockpile for shtf your not really saving anything unless you have a free or nearly free source of brass.

reloading opens doors on cartridges and firearms that are crazy expensive to buy off the shelf. plus its a great secondary hobby as it really is fun.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 04-14-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #3

The .45 I have loaded in the last couple of weeks with 230 gr. FMJ-RN worked out to $0.32 per round or $15.80 per box of 50. The .45 I loaded with 200 gr. LSWC were $0.18 per round. I already had the brass for both of those, since I have been saving for a while. I am seriously wanting to pick up a Lee 20 lb furnace in the near future to cast my own as well. And your mileage may vary, but I am loving reloading. Mostly because I have an infinite number of variations in components and loadings that I can experiment with

Old 04-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staestc View Post
The .45 I have loaded in the last couple of weeks with 230 gr. FMJ-RN worked out to $0.32 per round or $15.80 per box of 50. The .45 I loaded with 200 gr. LSWC were $0.18 per round. I already had the brass for both of those, since I have been saving for a while. I am seriously wanting to pick up a Lee 20 lb furnace in the near future to cast my own as well. And your mileage may vary, but I am loving reloading. Mostly because I have an infinite number of variations in components and loadings that I can experiment with
Interesting. I don't have any collections of brass, so I'd have to buy mine. And the .45 is the only gun I own, so I am not really interested in doing various types of reloading. Do you think it would be smarter to just buy some Tul Ammo?

Old 04-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #5

That would depend on what you want to do. If you are interested in saving money only, I would say probably just buy cheap ammo, though you can get the equipment you need without spending a lot if you go with a single stage Lee press. If you are looking for a new and interesting hobby, they go for it and start reloading. If you are interested in getting your gun to perform and be as accurately as possible, then reloading is the only way to find that sweet spot, IMHO. But then I am new to reloading so don't know much more than what I have read. I do know that I have loaded 150 cartridges today and am really enjoying it all