how much is it it to start reloading?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > how much is it it to start reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Default how much is it it to start reloading?

How much is it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 497

To start from scratch, press, dies, scale, caliper, powder, bullets, case cleaner, cleaning media, case trimmer, etc.

Do you have brass?

Buy used and spend $500 to $700.

Buy all new and you can spend $1k+ in a hurry.

This is based on my quick research a couple of months ago, YMMV

Old 02-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

You can start reloading for about $30.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/508946/lee-classic-loader-30-06-springfield

Spend as much or as little as you want. Yes the $27 Lee loaders do work and have been made for 40 years or so.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #4

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Single stage--$150 up
Progressive--$500 up
You need to decide the level you want to start out--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 329 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I just got started a couple months ago. Way more expensive than I thought. Initial was about $400 for turret press, dies, primer tool etc. This is a heavily accessory driven hobby. I'd say it depends on what calibers you want to reload and how convenient you want to make it.

The other thing is if you have to buy brass, might as well keep scrounging for factory ammo. Brass makes the initial load about as expensive as factory. Do you have a reliable source for components in you area? Ordering powder and primers over the internet isn't worth it unless you're spending $500+. And that makes for a 5% premium with hazmat.

Not trying to be discouraging but I would rather have someone be informed than going in blind.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #6

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter1997
How much is it?
Before you even think about buying components you need to read the ABCs of reloading. Once you have done that you need to read it again. Reloading has many benefits but it will kill you if you don't know what you are doing. Example: you decide to put your primers in a small glass jar so it is easer to pore them out. For some reason you shake the jar. You just blew your hand off.

Reloading is cheaper if you already have the brass. If you buy new brass it will be the same as buying factory ammo. I avoid this by buying once fired brass or factory loads and reloading them after I shoot them. You will need to introduce new brass as your other brass wares out. Bottle neck brass wares out faster.

Once you are ready to git started watch for deals on single stage press starter kits. RCBS makes some good kits for about $375. That will include everything except case trimmer, caliper, brass, powder, bullets, primers, case tumbler, dies and the media for the tumbler.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #7

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

A better question would be? What will it cost you to not reload. Ammo prices continue to go up. By rolling your own you can get some control over your cost.
If you add bullet casting to you reloading you can make major savings.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #8

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I haven't seen it mentioned often, possibly not at all but is anyone using a chronograph to fine tune their loads? When reloading pistol loads we always follow the mfg. reloading data, and sample fire 5 or 6 rounds to see where we are at with speed. It's rare that the tables are accurate with the actual powder to speed comparisons. I'm sure experienced reloaders can go by recoil or sound, but I think the chronograph is a perfect tool for any reloader.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 329 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
I haven't seen it mentioned often, possibly not at all but is anyone using a chronograph to fine tune their loads? When reloading pistol loads we always follow the mfg. reloading data, and sample fire 5 or 6 rounds to see where we are at with speed. It's rare that the tables are accurate with the actual powder to speed comparisons. I'm sure experienced reloaders can go by recoil or sound, but I think the chronograph is a perfect tool for any reloader.
A chronograph is on my list of reloading items to acquire. To me it is not essential and I have some other accessory items to buy first.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #10

Liked 189 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 95

It is not the initial cost you have to worry about, it is how much you will spend once you start liking it A Lee single stage basic kit (which I still use) costs $150 and includes almost everything you need, figure an RCBS die set runs about $35 around here and I got my last set of calipers for $27, and my trimmer was about $30. If you already have some brass you can cut that cost completely out, if not I get alot from the local shooting range, once fired brass works as good as the new stuff, and is either free from individuals or cheap in the range store (about $0.15 each for rifle around here) I normally get enough brass from individuals that I never need to buy any for any common caliber, I help people sight in rifles and give them shooting tips and they give me their brass, works out nicely OK back to the math, bullets for rifle calibers run about $30 per 100 for my SGKs and SSTs sometimes a little less, but there are less expensive bullet out there that work plenty good, as low as $23 for 30 cal Pro Hunters and Hot Cores. Good powders run me around $23 a lbs (1lbs will make about 120 30-06 rounds) and a brick of 1,000 primers normally costs me $30 for CCIs.
So to start reloading one rifle caliber is $242 plus your components, boil down the math on what it costs per round after that and I get my premium 30-06 165gr SGKs for $.50 each one quarter of what they cost me from Federal Premium.
You will eventually want to upgrade to a digital scale ($30-$50) a better hand primer I like the one from Hornady ($35) and some way of thoroughly cleaning your brass I recommend a Hornady ultrasonic cleaner they are on sale for $89 on Midway right now.
Not that expensive, that whole setup and a hundred rounds is less then one car payment and saves me a fortune in the long run.