How much space?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > How much space?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default How much space?

So I'm considering getting into reloading, but I live in a rather small apartment (about 650 square feet). How much space does it take to reload?

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #2

A medium size work bench in my garage.. you're kitchen counter will suffice

Old 06-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #3

When I lived in an apartment I bolted my press to a piece of 2"x6". I stored it in a closet and when I needed to use it, simply used "C" clamps to secure it to the kitchen counter. Same thing with my powder measure and case trimmer.

When not in use everything fit easily on a closet shelf, which was useless space for anything else anyhow. It was not as convenient as having everything ready to go on a whim but I figured that if I was in that big a hurry, I shouldn't be reloading anyway.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 06-03-2009, 01:30 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

As much as you can have. I have a 8x12' shed and half of it is for reloading and that is not enough for me. I have two presses and my bench is 6' long.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:04 AM   #5

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have my reloader bolted down to my cheap computer desk.wife hates it but thats why i got her a laptop so she can stay out of cave!when I have a little money ill probabley set up a nice reloading desk in my spare bedroom but until then my computer desk will do!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:18 AM   #6

Way back when I first started reloading, we lived in a very small house. I friend gave me his first reloading station which was a piece of steel pipe secured to a 2x12 (3 ft long) on the lower end and a piece of flat bar stock of some kind attached to the other end with holes drilled in it for you to mount your press. You would stand on the 2x12 to give you the stability to work the press. It is kind of hard to explain and it wasn't the greatest system but it worked until I could get a better setup.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take every thing you have.
Thomas Jefferson

US Army Retired / Postal Employee
NRA Endowment Member
Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Old 06-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #7

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So after doing a google search I found this kit from Cabellas.

Cabela's -- Lee Hand Press Reloading Kit

Anyone have any experience with this, would I just be wasting my time/money on this product?

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 06-04-2009, 04:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
So after doing a google search I found this kit from Cabellas.

Cabela's -- Lee Hand Press Reloading Kit

Anyone have any experience with this, would I just be wasting my time/money on this product?
I forgot about that! I have one and they are great if you are not going to be forming any cases. If you are pressed for space, it is excellent. When you are resizing/depriming, you will have to empty the old primers out every few minutes because the reservoir is pretty small, but that is not a problem.

I deprimed and resized hundreds of .40 cases one afternoon while setting at a laundrymat waiting for some large quilts to wash and dry. You should have seen the looks that I got and heard the questions I was asked while sitting there.

I would recommend it to you. All you will need to add is a set of dies, and powder, and bulets, and primers, and powder scale and .... you get the picture , this is just the basic press and a few small "attachments". GO FOR IT!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take every thing you have.
Thomas Jefferson

US Army Retired / Postal Employee
NRA Endowment Member
Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Here are pics of my bench. You will not need something this big to start off. I started on a surplus military desk. It was solid steel and worked just fine. It would work even better now with the addition of a Dillon Strong mount. I may even get rid of the giant stack of 2x6's and get another strong mount to put my RCBS (Green) press on. Just have to make a top plate for it not a big deal.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Perhaps the basic minimum for a conventional bench is something like 18" x 30". That would barely allow for mounting a good but small press, a powder measure and a scale. A case trimmer could be mounted on a seperate board and C clamped to the bench as needed.

All of us would prefer something larger, and lots of shelves for storage of other tools (tumbler, dies, etc.) as well as components.

A guy has to work with the space he has. A table-top temporary "bench" set-up can do the job if that's all you have to work with. Or, as some people do, use a folding Black and Decker "Workmate" stand (from Lowes/HomeDepot/Sears) and a small piece of 3/4" ply for a bench top. it's little but sturdy so it works!

Go for it! And good luck.