How Much $ To Reload .38 Special? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > How Much $ To Reload .38 Special?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 333 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I load 158gr and buy S&S cast bullets. Primer, powder and the bullet puts me right at $14/100. That is today's pricing. $45 for 500 bullets, $35/1000 for CCI primers and $20 per lb of AA#5. If I went to a 125 gr bullet I could save a couple pennies per round but I like the way the 158gr bullets shoot.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 783 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I get 158 gr rnfp from Friendswood bullet Co. for about $6.10/C.
Very good quality bullets.

http://www.friendswoodbullet.com/

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 03-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #13

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Thanks for the replies, I will probably buy the book, study it and then go from there with getting supplies. I just hope I don't blow myself up when I start, this is all foreign to me.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
I load 158gr and buy S&S cast bullets. Primer, powder and the bullet puts me right at $14/100. That is today's pricing. $45 for 500 bullets, $35/1000 for CCI primers and $20 per lb of AA#5. If I went to a 125 gr bullet I could save a couple pennies per round but I like the way the 158gr bullets shoot.
I also like 158gr, in .38 . If I was going to reload some .357s I might do 110 or 125gr since I have a snub.

S&W 915 9mm
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3393 Posts
Likes Given: 5592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Thanks for the replies, I will probably buy the book, study it and then go from there with getting supplies. I just hope I don't blow myself up when I start, this is all foreign to me.
IF YOU FOLLOW THE MANUAL AND PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU"RE DOING,It would be virtually impossible to blow anything up with your handloads.

Most accidents are caused by not paying attention, or trying to experiment, before you know exactly whst you're doing.

One good way to avoid problems is cancel your subscriptions to any gun magazines you may be getting..

Winston Churchill

Old 07-01-2014, 10:45 PM   #16

Hello again, ok, I have still been putting off getting a reloading kit but i'm not putting it off any longer, I think i'll go with the Lee single stage kit because I got the time to tinker, but my question now is: what is a good reloading manual/book if all i'm ever going to reload is handgun calibers, specifically the .38 spl? Do these books have "recipes" for how much powder to use specific by a brand name etc? I know it's a dumb question because I think I know the answer but I never read one of those books so I don't know. Also, can someone give me some examples of what they use just to get an idea. I seen a video of a guy today using 2.8gr of Alliant bullseye powder over what looked like a 148gr wadcutter. How powerful do you think that kind of load will be? And what size primers do I need for a .38?...I am very newbie at this so I don't even know that. I am wanting to reload light to medium power .38s to fire through my SP101 .357 if that helps if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.

S&W 915 9mm
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 07-01-2014, 11:07 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 538 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Hello again, ok, I have still been putting off getting a reloading kit but i'm not putting it off any longer, I think i'll go with the Lee single stage kit because I got the time to tinker, but my question now is: what is a good reloading manual/book if all i'm ever going to reload is handgun calibers, specifically the .38 spl? Do these books have "recipes" for how much powder to use specific by a brand name etc? I know it's a dumb question because I think I know the answer but I never read one of those books so I don't know. Also, can someone give me some examples of what they use just to get an idea. I seen a video of a guy today using 2.8gr of Alliant bullseye powder over what looked like a 148gr wadcutter. How powerful do you think that kind of load will be? And what size primers do I need for a .38?...I am very newbie at this so I don't even know that. I am wanting to reload light to medium power .38s to fire through my SP101 .357 if that helps if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.
If you want to reload, start simple. Get a Lee Loader for 38 special. It will cost around $25-$30. Buy a set of Lee dippers, another $12 and a Lee reloading book second edition. I used a Lee Loader for years. They are slow, very slow, but it's a good way to learn and if you enjoy it, then move up to a turret press. I can tell from the questions you're asking, you know nothing about reloading. That's why I suggest the Lee Loader and the book...read the book. Once you get the hang of it you can load a box and half of ammunition per hour. good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 07-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
Hello again, ok, I have still been putting off getting a reloading kit but i'm not putting it off any longer, I think i'll go with the Lee single stage kit because I got the time to tinker, but my question now is: what is a good reloading manual/book if all i'm ever going to reload is handgun calibers, specifically the .38 spl?

I like the Lyman manual. The current version is the 49th version

Do these books have "recipes" for how much powder to use specific by a brand name etc?

Yes, of course they have "receipes"

I know it's a dumb question because I think I know the answer but I never read one of those books so I don't know. Also, can someone give me some examples of what they use just to get an idea. I seen a video of a guy today using 2.8gr of Alliant bullseye powder over what looked like a 148gr wadcutter.

I try to avoid very light charges of very fast burning powder like Bullseye

How powerful do you think that kind of load will be?

Powerful enough to put a hole in a piece of paper, but I certainly would not want to be shot by it

And what size primers do I need for a .38?...

Small pistol standard primers

I am very newbie at this so I don't even know that. I am wanting to reload light to medium power .38s to fire through my SP101 .357 if that helps if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.
Answers in red above

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #19

Thanks for the replies, most of that info I pretty much knew from my research, I just wanted to hear from someone else to make sure I am in line with what I been learning. Also, I notice that I can get a progressive press for about the same cost as a single stage kit+ dies, and since I plan on only loading one caliber, do you think that's a good idea? I am a little concerned about how accurate the powder is measured out if it's all automatic, but at the same time the fact that the dies stay in place makes more sense to me as far as getting the bullet seated at the right depth with no screw ups since the dies pretty much never come off. What do you think I should get? BTW I am pretty handy and figure stuff out pretty quickly so i'm not as worried about messing up as I lead on to be, I just like to go over things more than I need to in my head before I actually do something.

S&W 915 9mm
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Last edited by ninjatoth; 07-02-2014 at 08:08 PM.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2984 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 332

Quote:
Hello again, ok, I have still been putting off getting a reloading kit but I'm not putting it off any longer, I think i'll go with the Lee single stage kit because I got the time to tinker,
FWIW, I'd recommend you step up to the Lee Classic Turret. You pull the rod out and it will become a single stage. I bought the Lee Challenger kit first, It wasn't long before I decided an upgrade was needed. You are warned.

but my question now is: what is a good reloading manual/book if all I'm ever going to reload is handgun calibers, specifically the .38 spl?
I have several.
Lee 2nd edition. (Good variety)
Lyman 49th (if you only buy one, this is the best, IMHO)
Lyman cast bullet handbook 4th edition. (If you shoot much cast, you will eventually want it. The .38 special cries out for cast bullets IMHO)

Every Powder manufacturer I'm familiar with has reloading data available free for download. You'd be a fool to ignore it.
Do these books have "recipes" for how much powder to use specific by a brand name etc?
Yes, they all do. You will find however that there is a surprising amount of variation when using nearly identical setups.
I know it's a dumb question because I think I know the answer but I never read one of those books so I don't know. Also, can someone give me some examples of what they use just to get an idea. I seen a video of a guy today using 2.8gr of Alliant bullseye powder over what looked like a 148gr wadcutter. How powerful do you think that kind of load will be?
It's a bunny fart load that is typically extremely accurate in most revolvers one would grab to shoot paper competitively. If your grandfather shot .38 reloads in competition, it was probably with a 2.7 through 3.0 gr of Bullseye pushing a 148 gr wadcutter. Bullseye is great for light, accurate loads in a .38 spec. The 2.7 & 2.8 loads are a bit light for my taste since I'm not shooting one handed bullseye matches.
I've run 3.0 gr of Bullseye with 158 gr semiwadcutters. Great wife & kids load that's extremely accurate in my revolvers.

And what size primers do I need for a .38?...I am very newbie at this so I don't even know that.
That data will be in the manual. The recipe will typically list all the specific components used to develop the published load. That said, Small Pistol primers for .38 special & the vast majority of .357 loads. Whenever there's doubt, refer to your data.

I am wanting to reload light to medium power .38s to fire through my SP101 .357 if that helps if anyone has any suggestions.
Buy a manual for full details.
Bullseye will do fine for light loads. IMHO, if one can only have one powder I'd grab some Alliant Unique. It will do well for everything up to fairly stout .357 loads. I also run 125 gr cast with moderate charge of Unique in my little .38 snubbies. My recoil sensitive wife tolerates them fairly well.

Thanks.
The .38 special is one of the most versatile and forgiving calibers one can reload. I only listed Bullseye & Unique previously. I would add that the list of pistol powders that won't work in the .38 special is comparatively short.

I would suggest you download some data and read through it to get a feel for what it all looks like:
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_1-23-14.pdf
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 07-02-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This