Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > How much powder for various calibers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
flw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How much powder for various calibers?

How much powder is used in a typical avg load by caliber? i.e. if it were made by a common mfg such as CCI or Winchester or Remington.

I'm looking for both center fire and rimfire. A web page with this info would be great. I'm not looking to reload just understand the amount of typical power used in store bought rounds.

Thank you for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #2

Liked 176 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 11

That's kind of a "How high is up?" question. Too many variables. But there
IS an answer.

Typical powder charge weight for commercially available ammunition:

Ranges from 0.0 grains (Colibri 22) to around 250 gr. (50 BMG).

Just do a Google for "reloading data" and you will soon see that you are on
a fools errand.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #3

Liked 7546 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

FLW- you have asked a question that cannot be answered as such. The WEIGHT of powder is ONE of several variables. They include- the caliber of the cartridge, the bullet type and weight, the specific powder being used, and the primer. When you change ANY of those, you change all.

For instance- I load .357 Magnum hunting cartridges with a HEAVY bullet (185 or 200 grain) and a charge of 2400 powder. That same weight of Bullseye powder would probably destroy the revolver I am using.

Your best bet will be to hunt down the websites for companies like Hogdon, Alliant, Hornady, and look up their load data for the cartridges you want. I routinely advise folks NOT to ask for load data from individuals on the internet- bad practice- for all you can tell, I am 12 years old, and Mom does not know I am on the computer.

I'm not- but do you KNOW that?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 05-10-2011 at 03:49 AM.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The only way to answer your question it to pull the bullets and weigh the powder for each cartridge. The powder type, brand and weight will vary from one manufacture, caliber, bullet weight, and/or specific load to another. Not an impossible task, just time consuming and rather pointless, plus the manufacture can and will change their loads from time to time.

The information below is from a small sample of 22 long rifle High Velocity cartridges.

I had some Rem. Sub-Sonic and Winchester Wildcat I can't use, some CCI Blazer that were damaged trying to hand cycle them through my 60, the rest were straight from the box. All of these were live rounds, the bullets were pulled while holding the case, and the bullets were just bent over until they came out. The powder was weighed with my RCBS 5-0-5 scales.

The Winchester were crimped the tightest by far, I ripped the base off 3 of the 5 bullets pulled. I was able to pry the torn bases from the case with a small screwdriver. The CCI and Remington pulled much easier and although the bullets were mangled, they were intact.

CCI Blazer *

1) 1.9-gr
2) 1.9
3) 1.5
4) 1.6
5) 1.5
6) 1.5
7) 1.6
8) 1.5
9) 1.5

*** CCI Mini-Mag - Only had one damaged round to sacrifice.

1) 1.6 *

Remington Golden Bullets

1) 2.0 *
2) 1.8 *
3) 1.8
4) 1.9
5) 1.8

Remington Sub Sonic

1) 1.2
2) 1.2
3) 1.2
4) 1.2
5) 1.2

Winchester Wildcat

1) 1.6
2) 1.5
3) 1.5
4) 1.5
5) 1.6

Winchester 333

1) 1.3
2) 1.3
3) 1.3
4) 1.4
5) 1.3

Federal Champion 525 bulk

1) 1.4
2) 1.4
3) 1.4
4) 1.4
5) 1.4

Powder, no clue as to what brand it is.

The CCI Blazer, Winchester Wildcat and 333's had nearly identical powders, small, glossy misshapen disks. The Remington Golden Bullets, Sub-Sonic, Federal Champion bulk and the CC Mini-Mag had what appeared to be the same powder too, but it was much more consistent in size and shape, semi-thick disks, and it wasn't glossy like Wildcat and Blazer it was matte/flat.

Last edited by Eric0424; 05-10-2011 at 11:51 PM.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:06 AM   #5

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

After C3's response you can close this thread.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

There are many different powder charges for each bullet in each cartridge with each different primer.

Lets say we have a 223

You have the following primers
Rem 3
Win 2
CCI 4
Federal 3
Wolf 3

Now the cases
DoubleTap
Hornady
Lake City
Lapua
Norma
Nosler
Remington
Winchester

Now bullets.
188+

powder
300 different types

Now lets figure out how many different combos there are. That is a possible 97,459,200 combos. Yes that is 97 million possible different combos for just 1 cartridge. Now do that for over 1000 different cartridges.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
FLW- you have asked a question that cannot be answered as such. The WEIGHT of powder is ONE of several variables. They include- the caliber of the cartridge, the bullet type and weight, the specific powder being used, and the primer. When you change ANY of those, you change all.

For instance- I load .357 Magnum hunting cartridges with a HEAVY bullet (185 or 200 grain) and a charge of 2400 powder. That same weight of Bullseye powder would probably destroy the revolver I am using.

Your best bet will be to hunt down the websites for companies like Hogdon, Alliant, Hornady, and look up their load data for the cartridges you want. I routinely advise folks NOT to ask for load data from individuals on the internet- bad practice- for all you can tell, I am 12 years old, and Mom does not know I am on the computer.

I'm not- but do you KNOW that?
Summed it right up!

"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war." Gen. George S. Patton

Old 05-13-2011, 01:56 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As has been stated, it depends on a lot what the manufacturer was going for. A heavier load of a slower-burning powder will allow (typically) more velocity with less peak pressure. A lighter load of a faster-burning powder, however, will reduce muzzle blast, reduce barrel wear, and be cheaper due to less powder used.

So, especially for a revolver cartridge like the .44mag, that could mean the difference between 30 grains of powder and 13 grains!

HOWEVER, realistically, I'd say most typical .44mag loads tend to be in the 11-18 grains of various powders. Just as an example.

You could browse through here and check out average loads. You will find most rifle and common pistol cartridges have relatively narrow ranges of powders (for example, say a ~20-30% variation in powder weights between max loads for a given bullet), while commonly-reloaded revolver cartridges might, as mentioned, vary as much as 600% for published loads (5 grains of a fast powder for a light plinking load, to 30+ grains of powder for a varminting load). But, for a very very very rough estimate, it wouldn't be unreasonable to just average the amounts for powder weights for a given load type.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #9

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
As has been stated, it depends on a lot what the manufacturer was going for. A heavier load of a slower-burning powder will allow (typically) more velocity with less peak pressure. A lighter load of a faster-burning powder, however, will reduce muzzle blast, reduce barrel wear, and be cheaper due to less powder used.

So, especially for a revolver cartridge like the .44mag, that could mean the difference between 30 grains of powder and 13 grains!

HOWEVER, realistically, I'd say most typical .44mag loads tend to be in the 11-18 grains of various powders. Just as an example.

You could browse through here and check out average loads. You will find most rifle and common pistol cartridges have relatively narrow ranges of powders (for example, say a ~20-30% variation in powder weights between max loads for a given bullet), while commonly-reloaded revolver cartridges might, as mentioned, vary as much as 600% for published loads (5 grains of a fast powder for a light plinking load, to 30+ grains of powder for a varminting load). But, for a very very very rough estimate, it wouldn't be unreasonable to just average the amounts for powder weights for a given load type.
I could not agree less. Lets take 8x57 for example. A 150gr bullet using IMR4320 will use more powder and have a decent muzzle flash compared to a 200gr bullet using the same powder. It is about volume in the case.
.308 w/ Ball powder and a 150gr bullet makes quite the light show and has more felt recoil then the same bullet using a slower burning stick powder. The stick powder, since it takes longer to burn will create less pressure as a rule and be kinder to your barrel. Look at the 5.56x45 as an example. The cartridge was originally designed w/ stick powder, but to save $ the Army changed to ball powder and the rifles had issues. Dirty, more temperature sensitive.....

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.