How Much Of One Caliber Before It Is Reasonably Thought Of As Hording?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > How Much Of One Caliber Before It Is Reasonably Thought Of As Hording?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1108 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Default How Much Of One Caliber Before It Is Reasonably Thought Of As Hording?

I have a few firearms, of many calibers. Today I was doing an inventory, to look for holes in my stash, and the numbers surprised me.

At what point does one turn from prudent to hording?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
I have a few firearms, of many calibers. Today I was doing an inventory, to look for holes in my stash, and the numbers surprised me.

when you have to move furniture out of the house to fit another ammo shelf or gun safe then you are a hoarder. Anything short of that is prudent.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

In reference to your thread title, it depends on your definition of reasonable.

I think it's reasonable to have 5k per rifle (even for rifles of same caliber), and 1k per handgun (same as above).

I'm no where near either of those numbers.

It also depends a LOT on how much you shoot. The above numbers I based on how much I shoot, which isn't very often. That stockpile would last me a year or 4 if I suddenly weren't able to buy anymore for whatever reason. Competitive 3 gun? IDPA? You may want your own warehouse full.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6615 Times on 3686 Posts
Likes Given: 6281

Whatever you want and can afford.

There is no such thing a "hoarding,"

That's just a sick excuse for people too stupid to plan ahead.

People Like This 
Old 03-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Actually the term Hording is way overused,in it's basic form it applies to acquiring and failing to throw away large amount of useless items with little to no value and often time clutters a home to a point that it's no longer a viable living space.

I guess if being prepared to a point not to pay high prices for ammo or reloading components because of either natural or man made shortages,being able to shoot what you want when you want or providing security for yourself and your family in a time of crises because you just assumed you could just run down to the LGS or WalMart at anytime and get some ammo is considered hording then count me in.

In this day in time especially with all the unrest in the world ,it's not only prudent to make sure you have an ample supply of ammo but other basic necessities you may find yourself or your family in need of. There are many individuals that will find themselves woefully unprepared,take nothing for granted.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3181 Times on 1833 Posts
Likes Given: 2055

Hoarding: is a general term for the behavior of people or animals to accumulate food or other items during times of scarcity. -Wikipedia

By that definition, we're all guilty as charged!

Old 03-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #7

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post

Don't think theres a line in the sand-
When you think you have enough------Buy another box

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #8

Liked 406 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

I think it also depends on the pricebof the ammo AND the rifle.

For example whats the point of having a $2400 LaRue Rifleworks AR but only 400 rounds of ammo? Or on the other extreme of a one 600 dollar mini14 and 50000 rounds of ammo?

So while for a 22LR rifle 5000 rounds might be reasonable minimum, for a 50 BMG barrett 200 rds might be considered plenty.

The rule of thumb I suggest is this:
-Take the cost of the rifle, spend the same on ammo as your "stash" and that is then the reasonable minimum.

If u have 2 rifles in the same caliber? Then add the cost of both together and then you have a reasonable goal

This method adjusts for a lot of variables

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Last edited by bluez; 03-10-2013 at 10:56 PM.
clr8ter Likes This 
Old 03-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9559 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

IF you have more ammo than all of the currently living generations of your family can shoot in their lifetimes..... you planned well.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 03-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1108 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I ask because I just went from storing my ammo in ammo cans, locked in a safe, to putting the ammo directly in the safe. Makes it easier to see what you have. I was surprised to see I have 25,000 + rounds of .22 LR.

I always look for more ammo, in box stores, and order off of the internet when I find some I want, but maybe I can quit looking for ammo for a while. lol

Might even sell some.