how much does it cost to start reloading - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > how much does it cost to start reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 01:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
most of my reloading supplies i buy locally because of those fees and charges. most dealers in my area get good shpping rates by ordering in bulk so its cheaper in most cases for me to buy from them.

And to continue from Jon M's post. If you need something (like a type of powder) that your local gun shop doesn't carry, ask them if they can order it with their usual powder/primer orders, they are usually happy to have the business.
They are already paying the Hazmat for their usual delivery, and while it may cost you a buck or two more per pound or 1k primers than ordering online, unless you are ordering for yourself in large quantities its hard to offset the usual $25 hazmat fee

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-01-2011, 03:17 AM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I on the other hand buy nothing local unless I HAVE TO.

The last time I went to Gander Mnt. Primers were $7.99 per 100 for regular CCI small rifle and $8.99 per 100 for Small rifle match. Hodgdon Varget was $27 a #1 and benchmark was $33 a pound. EFF that crap. I got 10k wolf primers for $310 with shipping and hazmat.

Powder I stocked up the last time I went to a gunshow 3 years ago. I shoot Varget in the 223 for my remmy 700 and I shoot H4895 and H335 in my AR. I have some others but that is about it for that my 308 I am still working on but RL 15 or RL 17 are going to be for that. 45acp is nothing but titegroup. I have 5# of it and at 5gr a load that a lot of effing 45acp ammo....

If you don't have enough of an order to combat $25 hazmat. Get with some buddies and see what they need. Gather orders and money from all split the shipping evenly and then when it comes in bang your even further ahead.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2874 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I on the other hand buy nothing local unless I HAVE TO.

The last time I went to Gander Mnt. Primers were $7.99 per 100 for regular CCI small rifle and $8.99 per 100 for Small rifle match. Hodgdon Varget was $27 a #1 and benchmark was $33 a pound. EFF that crap. I got 10k wolf primers for $310 with shipping and hazmat.

Powder I stocked up the last time I went to a gunshow 3 years ago. I shoot Varget in the 223 for my remmy 700 and I shoot H4895 and H335 in my AR. I have some others but that is about it for that my 308 I am still working on but RL 15 or RL 17 are going to be for that. 45acp is nothing but titegroup. I have 5# of it and at 5gr a load that a lot of effing 45acp ammo....

If you don't have enough of an order to combat $25 hazmat. Get with some buddies and see what they need. Gather orders and money from all split the shipping evenly and then when it comes in bang your even further ahead.
Holy crap! $8 to $9 dollars per tray?!?? Why don't they just take your wallet at gunpoint, & cut out all the foreplay? Here I was, thinking $30ish + per 1000 wasn't all that good (sportsman's warehouse.) Seems downright decent in comparison.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 03-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Holy crap! $8 to $9 dollars per tray?!?? Why don't they just take your wallet at gunpoint, & cut out all the foreplay? Here I was, thinking $30ish + per 1000 wasn't all that good (sportsman's warehouse.) Seems downright decent in comparison.
At $80-90 / 1000 it sounds like Gander is charging primer shortage prices. During the ammo and component shortage I had to pay nearly $100 for one box of large pistol primers through Gun Broker, it was the only place I could find primers for the new 45 I just bought. I managed to ration those out until the prices returned to normal.

The current online price for primers is about $30 / 1000, which is what I was paying before everything became scarce. I haven't checked locally to see how they're priced. The HazMat charge is usually $25, but by buying your powder and primers from the same vendor you will only be charged the one HazMat fee. Although that's usually easier said than done.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #15

Default Cost calculators

Reloading costs vary depending on what you are loading and when and where you buy your supplies.

I buy my powder and primers at Sportmans Warehouse so no shipping. I buy my bullets from Precision Delta Precision Delta - The Ammunition of Champions. Shipping is included with the purchase of 2000 rounds and can be split between bullets. Jacketed bullets at the cost of buying lead. Casting your own is way cheaper.

Here are a couple of cost calculators to help determine overall cost. The bottom one includes the cost of press and such and tells how many rounds you would have to load to offset the cost of equipment.

Handloading Cost Calculator
Handgun Cartridge Reloading Cost Calculator

Cost is a factor but I really enjoy the stress relief of reloading. Yes, reloading itself is something to take seriously but sometimes a different stress is good.

Happy reloading

A gun in your hand is better than a cop on the phone.

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One way to help your reloading costs on powder and primers is to go to your range, find other people reloading and pool together so your spliting the hazmat costs. Most online places let you have 70 pounds for the hazmat fee. I just can't afford 8 - 8# jugs of H335 by myself. Not always will people reload at the same rate so you try to pick up several people. When your ready to order, email them and see who else is ready or real close to ready to order primers or powder. I can get H335 8 pound jug online with hazmat fees cheaper than I can go to Cabela's and buy it, but it just hurts to pay that fee all by myself and then add shipping.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5827 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 5303

Reloading can save you 30-50 percent on your ammo if done right.

Join, or organize, a gun club, set up under the non-profit corporation of your state. Register with the state as a corporation.

No problems getting an FFL in the club's name.

Get enough folks together that you can order in bulk. This cuts your shipping and hazmat fees to almost nothing.

Example, I order 32 pounds of powder at a time (case of four 8 lb jugs) and get it for about $12-$15 per lb.

The club secretary orders primers in lots of 1/2 million. No hazmat fee, no shipping charge. Haven't bought any lately (got 50,000 last order) but I only paid $13.00 per thousand.

Bulk purchases save big bucks. Butv ya gotta save up a few bucks, and order a lot of stuff at once. You can't expect the club secretary to order 1000 primers, and a pound of powder, and be able to get these prices.

My club orders components twice a year. That way, we get big orders together.

Winston Churchill

Old 08-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post

Join, or organize, a gun club, set up under the non-profit corporation of your state. Register with the state as a corporation.

Get enough folks together that you can order in bulk. This cuts your shipping and hazmat fees to almost nothing.

Example, I order 32 pounds of powder at a time (case of four 8 lb jugs) and get it for about $12-$15 per lb.

The club secretary orders primers in lots of 1/2 million. No hazmat fee, no shipping charge. Haven't bought any lately (got 50,000 last order) but I only paid $13.00 per thousand.

Bulk purchases save big bucks. Butv ya gotta save up a few bucks, and order a lot of stuff at once. You can't expect the club secretary to order 1000 primers, and a pound of powder, and be able to get these prices.

Best idea I have heard yet.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #19

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

Any idea when y'all are gonna do it again

Old 08-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #20

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

If you are reloading for pistols, these are excellent bullets for a good price.

http://www.powerbondbullets.com/index.html

Plus no shipping charge added.