Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > how much does it cost to start reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default how much does it cost to start reloading

I have been thinking about reloading because I heard that it saves you a lot of money. All I'm asking you guys is if its smart to start reloading instead of buying my ammunition

Last edited by 1911beast; 02-28-2011 at 10:40 PM. Reason: spelled word wrong

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I think reloading for cost savings is a secondary reason at best. The ROI (Return On Investment) will take years unless you shoot 1,000s of rounds a month.

I think the real reason to reload is a tie between producing ammo that matches your firearm for accuracy/purpose or as a hobby that produces something far more useful than scrap-booking.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
oldpapps Likes This 
Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would hazard to say that it really depends on your choice of equipment and accs...entry level, mid, or top of the line.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:29 PM   #4

I'm just about to start... So far, I've spent about $250 on the basics, and I have everything I need for one caliber sans the consumables (bullets, brass, powder, & primer).

Now, I'm doing a lot of reading on which powder / primer I want to use, and more importantly where to buy it. I would much prefer to buy locally, but it looks like I may have to buy most of it on line.

Edit... Besides the internet, where does everyone go to buy reloading supplies?

Last edited by Richz99; 02-28-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Midway USA at Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear — MidwayUSA .

Old 03-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

What are you shooting? .338 Win Mag or 9mm Luger? The numbers will be dramatically different depending caliber.
Short answer is, yes it's worth it. but savings varies.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 03-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I am still looking for any savings.

My problem is I keep buying more reloading stuff. Weather it is the annealing tools I just ordered or the flashy billet alum loading block I also just ordered or more bullets powder or primers. My poor savings account doesn't show it thats for sure.

The upfront cost can go from $200 to $10k depending on what you want to do and what you want to spend and what your feeding. Your not going to load for a Class III MG on a single stage rock chucker nor are you going to load for your deer rifle on a dillon 1050.

You need
press
dies
bench
powder measure
shell holders
trimmer
tumbler
good scale
powder
primers
cases
and bullets
and two reloading manuals.

Depending on how you go about it you can spend a little or a lot.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:06 AM   #8

Default Here it goes....

Tell the wife that you need $800. ( I am basing this on a single stage press not a progressive )
1st. Do your homework and start with a couple of reloading books, read, read, underline and highlight any thing you don't understand. and ask ?'s, either here or someone that you may know that reloads.
2nd. Make a list of the must have's and would like to have's.
3rd. Go research the prices and GO GET the must haves.
4th. Then... tell the wife that you are a GOD and saved $75 on the stuff by paying cash and take her out to dinner. ( never mind how much you spent. you will need that $ for the would like to have's. )

Just saying.. been there.

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Remember to plan your on line orders in advance. Each shipment incurs a HasMat fee. You can combine up to 48 lbs. of powder and primers under one hasmat charge.

Take a look here:

Powder Valley, Inc.

Missouri Bullet Company

Rocky Mountain Reloading

Berry's Manufacturing

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richz99 View Post
I'm just about to start... So far, I've spent about $250 on the basics, and I have everything I need for one caliber sans the consumables (bullets, brass, powder, & primer).

Now, I'm doing a lot of reading on which powder / primer I want to use, and more importantly where to buy it. I would much prefer to buy locally, but it looks like I may have to buy most of it on line.

Edit... Besides the internet, where does everyone go to buy reloading supplies?
shipping costs can be extreme for some online sales. powder and primers has hazmat charges bullets weigh a lot and often shipped by weight. know your shipping charges before you buy.

if i need a lot powder i will buy online and a lot means 10-20 pounds or more around there it offsets hazmat fees and beats local costs.

most of my reloading supplies i buy locally because of those fees and charges. most dealers in my area get good shpping rates by ordering in bulk so its cheaper in most cases for me to buy from them.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...