Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   how much does it cost to start reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/how-much-does-cost-start-reloading-39128/)

1911beast 02-28-2011 10:38 PM

how much does it cost to start reloading

I have been thinking about reloading because I heard that it saves you a lot of money. All I'm asking you guys is if its smart to start reloading instead of buying my ammunition

canebrake 02-28-2011 10:56 PM

I think reloading for cost savings is a secondary reason at best. The ROI (Return On Investment) will take years unless you shoot 1,000s of rounds a month.

I think the real reason to reload is a tie between producing ammo that matches your firearm for accuracy/purpose or as a hobby that produces something far more useful than scrap-booking. :p

Poink88 02-28-2011 11:00 PM

I would hazard to say that it really depends on your choice of equipment and accs...entry level, mid, or top of the line.

Richz99 02-28-2011 11:29 PM

I'm just about to start... So far, I've spent about $250 on the basics, and I have everything I need for one caliber sans the consumables (bullets, brass, powder, & primer).

Now, I'm doing a lot of reading on which powder / primer I want to use, and more importantly where to buy it. I would much prefer to buy locally, but it looks like I may have to buy most of it on line.

Edit... Besides the internet, where does everyone go to buy reloading supplies?

hogrider 02-28-2011 11:38 PM

Midway USA at Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear — MidwayUSA .

Overkill0084 03-01-2011 12:00 AM

What are you shooting? .338 Win Mag or 9mm Luger? The numbers will be dramatically different depending caliber.
Short answer is, yes it's worth it. but savings varies.

cpttango30 03-01-2011 12:15 AM

I am still looking for any savings.

My problem is I keep buying more reloading stuff. Weather it is the annealing tools I just ordered or the flashy billet alum loading block I also just ordered or more bullets powder or primers. My poor savings account doesn't show it thats for sure.

The upfront cost can go from $200 to $10k depending on what you want to do and what you want to spend and what your feeding. Your not going to load for a Class III MG on a single stage rock chucker nor are you going to load for your deer rifle on a dillon 1050.

You need
press
dies
bench
powder measure
shell holders
trimmer
tumbler
good scale
powder
primers
cases
and bullets
and two reloading manuals.

Depending on how you go about it you can spend a little or a lot.

50of4064 03-01-2011 01:06 AM

Here it goes....

Tell the wife that you need $800. ( I am basing this on a single stage press not a progressive )
1st. Do your homework and start with a couple of reloading books, read, read, underline and highlight any thing you don't understand. and ask ?'s, either here or someone that you may know that reloads.
2nd. Make a list of the must have's and would like to have's.
3rd. Go research the prices and GO GET the must haves.
4th. Then... tell the wife that you are a GOD and saved $75 on the stuff by paying cash and take her out to dinner. ( never mind how much you spent. you will need that $ for the would like to have's. )

Just saying.. been there.

Good luck!

canebrake 03-01-2011 01:39 AM

Remember to plan your on line orders in advance. Each shipment incurs a HasMat fee. You can combine up to 48 lbs. of powder and primers under one hasmat charge.

Take a look here:

Powder Valley, Inc.

Missouri Bullet Company

Rocky Mountain Reloading

Berry's Manufacturing

JonM 03-01-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richz99 (Post 455232)
I'm just about to start... So far, I've spent about $250 on the basics, and I have everything I need for one caliber sans the consumables (bullets, brass, powder, & primer).

Now, I'm doing a lot of reading on which powder / primer I want to use, and more importantly where to buy it. I would much prefer to buy locally, but it looks like I may have to buy most of it on line.

Edit... Besides the internet, where does everyone go to buy reloading supplies?

shipping costs can be extreme for some online sales. powder and primers has hazmat charges bullets weigh a lot and often shipped by weight. know your shipping charges before you buy.

if i need a lot powder i will buy online and a lot means 10-20 pounds or more around there it offsets hazmat fees and beats local costs.

most of my reloading supplies i buy locally because of those fees and charges. most dealers in my area get good shpping rates by ordering in bulk so its cheaper in most cases for me to buy from them.