Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > How much?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How much?

Noob question.
How much ammo does one have to be shooting before reloading becomes a worthwhile endeavor? I imagine initial expense isn't cheap. And probably isn't a place you wanna cut corners on.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4474 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 255

you can get everything you need in a basic setup single stage for under 300$. less if you buy used.

how much you save depends on what cartridge your shooting. for 458 winmag i typically save about 70$ per 20 rounds if im loading 500 grain bullets.

box of 50 500grain bullets is 39$ to buy 50 loaded rounds it would cost me $200+ so im saving roughly 150$ per 50 once you factor in primer, powder, and occasional case replacement.

for some rounds like using 350 grain round nose its priceless since loaded ammo in that bullet isnt available.

savings on the 458socom is in the similar range

for things like 9mm the savings are smaller but still there.

it just depends.

dont forget when your compairing reloading costs dont compare high quality match grade bthp bullets to those cheap @ss tula steel cased russian junk. thats where a lot of people get confused. the whole "i can buy wolf ammo for x ammount" thing being compaired to cranking out match quality handloads isnt a good comparison. kinda like comparing a hand tuned sports car to a nissan leaf...

one other thing reloading your own is like buying your first mosin 91/30. its ADDICTIVE!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-08-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:45 AM   #3

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

There's these little Lee classics sets that run about 30 bucks or so, I'm thinking of getting one. They seem to be just for people like me, cheapskates that don't really shoot enough. Do a search on cabela's or midwayusa.

Like I pointed out, I don't shoot enough to justify a top of the line reloading set up, and only need a set for one caliber. It sounds like you and I may be in the same boat? At least for the moment anyway, I'm sure you'll surpass me on range time, it's not hard to do.

It's a personal decision really. I do one type of reloading, I make my own smokes. You can't beat 80 cents for a pack of smokes, ammo reloaders generally seem to feel much the same way, and some like to make specialty match ammo.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 992 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 440

It all depends on what you start with.If you buy used reloading equipment,you can get into reloading pretty cheap-$100-200.
If you buy new,it can get expensive depending on just how much,and what brands you buy.
Reloading any larger caliber pistol or rifle cartridges,you will see the cost savings and return on your initial investment pretty fast when you compare what it cost you to produce ammo,and what a Premium box of factory ammo cost.
The main thing you want to do before trying to reload ammo is READ & LEARN about reloading.There are several books that any beginner should buy and read before trying to load.

http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading-Bill-Chevalier/dp/0873498518

I have reloaded for 30+ years and I'm still learning!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #5

Whoa you guys covered that quick... Leave some for us...

Old 12-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #6

Well I've got a ., not horribly expensive to feed but not cheap either. Also looking at a AR15, that seems like it could get kinda expensive to feed (if for no other reason than it's a hungry beast). Then I really want an SKS or an AK. So I see reloading in my future somewhere.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:06 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 992 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by fins59 View Post
Well I've got a ., not horribly expensive to feed but not cheap either. Also looking at a AR15, that seems like it could get kinda expensive to feed (if for no other reason than it's a hungry beast). Then I really want an SKS or an AK. So I see reloading in my future somewhere.
For plinking ammo,you really won't save too much for the AR,but if you are seeking precision varmint/target loads you can find out the perfect match for your particular rifle.Same goes for ammo for an AK or SKS.

Full Metal Jacket-FMJ ammo will always be cheaper than a Soft Point/Ballistic Tip/or Partition bullet ammo.But there are a lot of public ranges that do not allow FMJ ammo to be shot there.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #8

That was supposed to say" .45acp. "Don't know where it went.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I have been reloading metallic cartridges since the early 80's, shotshells since the 70's. To me it is less about cost savings and more about self sufficiency and self reliance. I don't have to trust someone else's loading. I don't have to trust that a particular caliber is in stock at the local Wallyworld. I don't have to worry about the feds controlling how much ammo I buy. I cast my own bullets from .380 to .45-70 as well as shotgun slugs and buckshot. As long as I have a decent stockpile of primers and powder, I can stay in the game.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #10

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

These days I think most people load to develop good custom ammo that shoots well in their guns, not necessarily just to save money. For more than one of my guns I can buy factory ammo cheaper than what it costs me to make my loads. I shoot the factory rounds and keep the brass for loading. I know of a few people who are totally cost driven when it comes to reloading and they tend to cut corners in the process because they are always looking for a cheaper way to do it. They do some things that I consider to be careless and irresponsible. They take chances to save pennies. I can't understand some of these people because they are very willing to spend big bucks on expensive guns then get so cheap about what ammo they shoot. To each his own I guess.