How long has +P and +P+ ammo been around for?????

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > How long has +P and +P+ ammo been around for?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How long has +P and +P+ ammo been around for?????

Just wondering how long these types of ammo have been around for i heard from someone. About the early 70's i am not sure but i am curious by the way how is +P and +P+ ammo created like what is it stronger powder or what?????

Also i have a Astra Constable .380 semiauto pistol i believe it is from the 1960's or 1970's i believe. I have only used FMJ/Roundpoint ammo standard pressure rounds in it so far. Do you think it can handle +P or +P+ rounds without blowing up????? I would carry +P or +P+ ammo in it for concealed carry since it is a small caliber as you know it is a .380 aka 9mm short.

Also i haven't tried this yet but would +P or +P+ ammo work with my Rock Island Armory M1911A1FS GI .45acp without blowing up? anyone have trouble with this gun feeding hollow points?

Is +P+ a lot more powerful then +P ammo and why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2740 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 231

There is technically no such thing as +P .380 ammo. Some companies advertise ammo as being +P just as a marketing ploy or to warn you it exceeds SAAMI specs. The .380 is generally fired in an unlocked breech, blowback pistol. These types of hanguns generally require a narrow range of pressures to safely operate.

I would avoid any .380 ammo labeled as +P.

The only calibers that can truly be called +P are 9mm, .38 Special, .38 Super and .45 ACP (maybe .257 Roberts).

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I guess you could say that +P ammunition dates back to Elmer Keith. He loaded up very hot .44 special cartridges that were basically 44. magnum loads in the .44 special case.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
I guess you could say that +P ammunition dates back to Elmer Keith. He loaded up very hot .44 special cartridges that were basically 44. magnum loads in the .44 special case.
i reserve the right to be wrong again but the first commercial load was probabily the old 38/44sw which paved the road for the 357mag (thanks Elmer), followed by the Supervel in the 50's maybe.

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You're probably right on that. I know that Elmer was the brains behind the magnum cartridges, but I've not read too much on him so I just know the story behind the .44 magnum. I watched the history of the Magnums on the History Channel via Youtube, and it was a great source of information.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp