Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > how long do hydra shoks last?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default how long do hydra shoks last?

I bought a box of hydra shoks 2 years ago and they have been inside the magazines since then. what is their usual lifespan?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

depends on local weather and humidity. a salt water environment like a coastal city you might want to change frequently. or if your in the bad habit of allowing oil to coat your ammo. they should last many years. ammo made for ww1 and ww2 still function fine today.

i rotate my sd ammo out each year more to keep myself familiarized with the feel of shooting it than any reliability issues.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

How long do they last? Until about an 1/16th of a second after piercing flesh. Wakka!

I would recommend rotating your carry ammo at least once a year if not twice, just to stay current.

There is a belief, and I we are going to test that here at FTF if SOMEONE ( Scubie ) ever gets around to it, that having loaded ammo in a "wet" gun can cause your oil to "creep" and effect the primer, thus giving you a squib or a Fail to Fire. We still need to verify or debunk that one.

Personally? I change my carry ammo at least once a calendar year, more if I can find what I carry on sale.

JD

Old 03-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #4

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

It better last a long time. I have some in the drawer that I bought well over 10 years ago. My thought is that if it isn't subjected to moisture or a firing pin it should be just fine.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
How long do they last? Until about an 1/16th of a second after piercing flesh. Wakka!

I would recommend rotating your carry ammo at least once a year if not twice, just to stay current.

There is a belief, and I we are going to test that here at FTF if SOMEONE ( Scubie ) ever gets around to it, that having loaded ammo in a "wet" gun can cause your oil to "creep" and effect the primer, thus giving you a squib or a Fail to Fire. We still need to verify or debunk that one.

Personally? I change my carry ammo at least once a calendar year, more if I can find what I carry on sale.

JD
i can tell ya first hand this is true and scary. in our arms room the previous armorer to me would oil the 45acp rounds in the live duty ammo safe. they would sit primer up nose down in the cartons. he learned this from the armorer before him and so on. when i discovered this practice i asked our commander if we could rotate the ammo and test fire the old stuff. he agreed. i did the paperwork. if memmory serves i think it was 15 or so out of 200 of the rounds fired failed to ignite the powder resulting in squibs with bullets stuck in the barrels. all primers fired.

they had been using clp and wd40 to "clean" abd "preserve" the rounds.

these bullets our mp's had been relying on for years to be in good condition.

from that point our commander enacted a duty ammo yearly rotation policy.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i can tell ya first hand this is true and scary. in our arms room the previous armorer to me would oil the 45acp rounds in the live duty ammo safe. they would sit primer up nose down in the cartons. he learned this from the armorer before him and so on. when i discovered this practice i asked our commander if we could rotate the ammo and test fire the old stuff. he agreed. i did the paperwork. if memmory serves i think it was 15 or so out of 200 of the rounds fired failed to ignite the powder resulting in squibs with bullets stuck in the barrels. all primers fired.

they had been using clp and wd40 to "clean" abd "preserve" the rounds.

these bullets our mp's had been relying on for years to be in good condition.

from that point our commander enacted a duty ammo yearly rotation policy.
And this is not the first time I have heard this type of story. I had a cop buddy, SWAT teamer / Door Breacher who told me very early on in my shooting career to NEVER clean or lubricate your weapon with WD-40 because it can "seep" as much as 24 inches in 24 hours. He explained that seepage into and around the primers COULD cause Failures to Fire and/or squibs.

Since that early lesson I have heard other people say the same thing. Rotate ammo because you don't want to worry about your gun lube seeping into the primers.

We have a plan to test this and post the results. Scubie has just been SUPER busy down on the border, but he has already staged several types of ammo and has subjected the primers to various types of oils and methods ( drips, droplets, wiping, etc. ) so it will be interesting to see the results.

Me? I hedge on better safe than sorry and rotate my ammo in my mags and when I get through a box, it goes to the range and gets shot up. Then replaced.

Why risk it?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2605 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I rotate carry ammo 1X yearly. A box of 50 a year/gun will not break the bank.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8439 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

I shoot and replace my "social purpose" loads once a year. That is, before that horrible boating accident. Your loads should be good longer than you will be.

As far as the effective of varied oils and cleaners- The Box O' Truth #39 - Oil Vs. Primers - Page 1

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #9

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I never saw the need to lube or preserve ammo.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I do not lubricate my ammo for any reason. I am cycling my ammo, and am still working on burning through some of my older re-loads from the 1980's. I have had very very few FTF with that older ammo. These old re-loads have been stored in ammo cans in an air conditioned environment for all of these years.

TXnorton