How are jacketed bullets made?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > How are jacketed bullets made?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Default How are jacketed bullets made?

How are jacketed bullets made? Is the lead poured into the jacket? Is the jacket 'shaped' around the lead? Are they ‘copper plated’? Do elves assemble jackets & bullets? Do the bullet’s mothers put their jackets on them before they leave the factory? Youth wants to know.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Traditional jacketed bullets are made from copper tubing with lead wire swaged inside. High pressure swaging machines press them out by the thousands. Some of the newer defensive bullets use a flux inside the jacket. After forming the bullets are heated sufficiently to fuze the two together. Speer makes a line they call "Hot Core". Molten lead is poured into the jackets. Speer also makes the "Gold Dot" line. The "jacket" is actually thick plating, much thicker than "plated" bullets.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-17-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

there is also plating the jacket on. uses electricity to plate the lead core in copper.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

The process can vary depending on exactly what you are making, but lets start with a basic .30 cal FMJ bullet. The jacket metal is in a sheet, and a punch pops out a disk of jacket. This is placed over a hard steel die, and the jacket is forced into the die by a ram, taking on the shape of the die. A section of lead core is placed behind the jacket, and a ram forces the lead to flow into the open jacket. Known as swaging. Frequently core and jacket are joined purely from pressure, sometimes by epoxy, soldering, or electric welding. Sometimes a cast lead bullet will get a very thin layer of copper by electroplating.

The bullet Mommies don't really care about the jackets. They are too busy drinking beer and playing rummy with the other bullets, trying to pick up primers, taking about their no good brass, and and discussing that hussy cartridge from Russia with the cheap lacquer job..........

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7092 Times on 4269 Posts
Likes Given: 8600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Do elves assemble jackets & bullets?
The same elves that make Keebler cookies.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 AM   #6

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Okay, we got lead filled tubes pressed into shape somehow, Lead bullets ‘glued’ into jackets, Molten lead poured into jackets, Electro-plating, And Jackets punched into shape and lead forced into it. For some reason I thought one method would have proven most effective & favored by now. Silly me.

Now tell me about those Lead Round Nose, are they nudists or what? Do the necked down calibers still look at pictures of aboriginal LRN in Guns & Ammo? I suppose the magnum cartridges just read ‘Tactical Today’ for the articles.

And about the elves; aren’t they the ones that all those bullets get hollow point surgery for? Trying to impress them with their expansion! I think it’s pathetic!

Old 05-17-2012, 04:19 AM   #7

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The bullet Mommies don't really care about the jackets. They are too busy drinking beer and playing rummy with the other bullets, trying to pick up primers, taking about their no good brass, and and discussing that hussy cartridge from Russia with the cheap lacquer job..........
That explains it all.