Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   How hot is the Sun on a clip? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/how-hot-sun-clip-47521/)

DodgerBlue 08-30-2011 12:02 AM

How hot is the Sun on a clip?

This past Saturday I left my Glock 32 in .357 SIG (shameless promotion) in my car for 9 hours.

Living in Arizona it was like 118. let's say 130 inside of the car. Pure heat.

I couldn't even carry the dang thing in my waist Mexican style. Is there any real danger of leaving a clip full of ammo in a glove box baking like a turkey on Thanksgiving? Any first hand accounts?

Olympus 08-30-2011 12:23 AM

No real problems as long as the rounds are exposed to a gradual increase in temperature such as being left in a car. Drop them in a bank of cherry-red coals, and well that's a different story.

canebrake 08-30-2011 12:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Your glock uses clips? Is that unique to the .357 SIG (shameless promotion)?

c3shooter 08-30-2011 12:48 AM

As hot as it gets in car in AZ, (just got back from 5 days, 20 miles West of Gila Bend) it does not get hot enuff to pop a primer. Takes over 300 degrees.

If you think it is hot where you are, you can chat with some of our members currently in Iraq. They also have some loaded ammo along with them- usually in the ammo can hanging on the mount of the .50 Browning.

Now, realistically, it may shorten the lifespan of the ammo from 60 years to 15 years- cool and dry is best- but in the short term, it don't really matter. It DOES increase pressure/velocity when it fires, but unless you are shooting long range rifle, doubt that you would even notice. :cool:

DodgerBlue 08-30-2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 571758)
Your glock uses clips? Is that unique to the .357 SIG (shameless promotion)?

Dang it cane! You're to late. I bet my buddy here at work the 1st response would correct me. Now Im out 5 bucks. Please everyone the bet is over. I know they're magazines. No corrections needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 571764)
As hot as it gets in car in AZ, (just got back from 5 days, 20 miles West of Gila Bend) it does not get hot enuff to pop a primer. Takes over 300 degrees.

If you think it is hot where you are, you can chat with some of our members currently in Iraq. They also have some loaded ammo along with them- usually in the ammo can hanging on the mount of the .50 Browning.

c3, I should have thought of that. I wasn't in Iraq but i was in Saudi and should have known that. I just wonder what got hotter. the ammo in a can or me in my MOP gear!

Lindenwood 08-30-2011 02:15 AM

You'll be absolutely fine. I've heard of people popping crates of ammo from the 1950s, and having every round run through the guns just fine.

hiwall 08-30-2011 02:45 AM

your Glock and the magazine are toast. Bring them up to me and I will dispose of them for you!