How expensive is it to get into reloading?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > How expensive is it to get into reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 66 Posts

Default How expensive is it to get into reloading?

When we go shooting we leave behind Alot of brass at my local gun range. sometimes i feel like all the brass casings on the floor are bieng wasted or money going down the drain ive seen people that are reloaders pick up the brass and leave with a bucket full and they seem happy kinda makes me feel like a chump for not picking some up it looks like a fun hobby to get into and i do love shooting but ammo is expensive can this be a solution? I know very little about reloading equipment how much would it cost to get into reloading? Id like to reload 9mm 40s&w 45acp, 12 guage 556/222, 308 and 762x39 if possible how much would a complete set of equipment cost? Is it time consuming? Does it take up a lot of space? I live in a condo with no garage and a small back patio is it worth it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #2

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

If you feel guilty, then why do you leave it? You should pick up the stuff you came with anyways...... If nothing else, brass is a metal any scrapyard will pay you money for. I recently got lucky, and found a guy who reloads that will give me more money than a scrapyard, and he took all of my hoarded cases (I don't reload), and exchanged them for ammo. Cool!

Old 06-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #3

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I just got into reloading myself mate and I can tell you right now that its cost me in access of $1000 dollars AUS,it doesn't mean your going to spend that much.....one thing is foreshore that I've learnt is to buy yourself a good reloading manual and study it inside out and upside down, and when you've done that do it again as your manual or manuals as in my case will become like the bible in which you swear by...YouTube I have found will also educate you in the world of reloading,good manuals to purchase like I have are Lyman 49th edition,Lee precision loading and Hornady are all brilliant...I have come to the same conclusion as yourself that wasted brass is just that a waste and reloading will reap its benefits in the long run,you will need space or a bench to set up all your equipment as I have noticed and if space is limited you may have a problem.....hope this clarifies s few good tips for you.....cheers

Old 06-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #4

Liked 3102 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 2879

If you shoot a lot, it's more expensive not to reload. If you go to the range once or twice a year and shoot one box of ammo, then reloading is not for you. All of my reloading equipment has paid for itself many times over. Plus you get to shoot custom ammo that you tailor specifically for your tastes and guns.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #5

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Price is going to vary on market and what you buy.

Lee stuff is cheap.

Dillon stuff is expensive.

Really to reload all you need is

Press
dies
scale
powder measure
bullets
cases
primers
powder

It all depends on how much you have to spend and what you want to do. Pistol dies are more expensive that rifle dies because they are for the most part carbide and 3 die sets. Look on craigs list yard sales anywhere you might find a good deal.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #6

Liked 2111 Times on 1162 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

You do not need a bench. Everything you need can fit in a box in the closet. You can work on your coffee table or the kitchen table. You will need a press. This is what I would recommend for the apartment dweller with limited space.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665540/lee-breech-lock-hand-press

I have one that I first got started with. I used to sit in front of the TV and prepare brass for reloading. My needs have gotten way too big now. You also need a set of dies for each caliber that you shoot. I would start with a caliber that is expensive to shoot, or hard to find. I am thinking .45acp or 308. You will need a powder measure and a scale. You will want a reloading block to sit the cases in while you are working on them. That is cheap...less than $10. Scales and powder measures vary in price greatly. I have seen scales from about $25 to up over $100. Powder measures are like that too. Lee makes some inexpensive stuff. Some of it is as good as the more expensive stuff. Some of it is not. Their hand press in the link above is a great tool. I do not know of anyone else that makes a hand press. A hand priming tool will speed up the process drastically. It is like going from walking to riding a 10 speed bike. Buy one.

But the most important thing you should buy is a good book. Follow it to the letter.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
People Like This 
Old 06-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #7

Liked 813 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 249

You can even go cheaper.................
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/735723/lee-classic-loader-308-winchester
$27 for each caliber plus bullets, primers. and powder. Thats it nothing else to buy.
It is like race cars- -you can use your current family car but you won't be able to keep up to the real race cars.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

reloading is very rewarding addition to shooting. it allows you to shoot premium ammo at the cost of cheaper grade ammo. allows you to tailor ammo to a particular rifle and achieve much better accuracy. allows you to shoot more and become a better shooter.

a person can get into reloading for a few hundred dollars is a person buys a complete kit or set. or you can go whole hog and spend a few thousand dollars, or anything in between.

my first suggestion if giving thought to getting into reloading, buy the book, The ABC's Of Reloading, which can be easily found at Amazon.com for usually less than $15. read it, then reread it several times. it will take through the reloading process and tell you what's needed and how the get set up and what to start with. very good book and highly recommended reading for anyone interested in reloading.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
You can even go cheaper.................
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/735723/lee-classic-loader-308-winchester
$27 for each caliber plus bullets, primers. and powder. Thats it nothing else to buy.
It is like race cars- -you can use your current family car but you won't be able to keep up to the real race cars.
Don't forget you need a hammer too!

OP, I love reloading. It's one of my hobbies.

I recommend starting with just one caliber, probably the most expensive one you shoot a lot. As has been previously posted, you don't need a lot of space, depending in your equipment. The Lee hand press is a great recommendation, as is the handloading kit. The handpress will allow you to pump rounds out slightly faster, whereas the handloading kit is probably the best value. But you will need something sturdy to pound on with a hammer. A work bench would be best but it doesn't sound like its available for you right now.

Definitely get several reloading manuals. You can find used ones on eBay or amazon. I bet there's even a few people here who don't need their older ones anymore. The older ones are still valid, for the most part. I recommend buying your components based off of whatever book you have. For example, don't buy a certain type of powder if your book doesn't have listed recipes for that powder in that caliber. Of course you can get all these recipes from the powder manufacturers website, but I personally prefer the books.

You will definitely invest a lot of time into it, but I think you will probably find it rewarding in the end.

Just remember - you may not save any money on ammo. You will just shoot more with the same budget you had before! Or not. But that's certainly been my experience.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #10

Liked 83 Times on 66 Posts

You guys are alot of help thanks