Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > How does this even happen?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by customammo72 View Post
If your bolt doesn't close all the way then the gun shouldn't fire, it's called headspace, this is a signature sign of an overpressure load or a hot load.....
brass is being driven backwards out of the chamber against the firing pin. Too much pressure and you will get a blown primer and a face full of hot gas...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

This is the second post on bad Remington ammo this week. What the hell is going on when this company? Lives depend on the functionality of the guns and ammo. How do you all feel now about this product (ammo) and your lives? Just keeping it real...

Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #13

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
This is the second post on bad Remington ammo this week. What the hell is going on when this company? Lives depend on the functionality of the guns and ammo. How do you all feel now about this product (ammo) and your lives? Just keeping it real...
Right now their ammo has gone straight to crap, bought some Remington Thunderbolt 22 LR and one squibbed and destroyed the barrel in my wife's Walther P22, really screwed the barrel up like I've never seen.... Will never buy it again. I believe if this had been a larger caliber the gun would have blown up in her face...... Then I would have been very very pissed. Called Remington and they told me to send in the info from the box, lot number etc. and they would start a claim for me, I guess they want the rest of the ammo back to test it too but they are gonna pay the shipping and hazmat I sure am not, I want my money refunded and them to buy me a new barrel at the least.

Last edited by customammo72; 03-31-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #14

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Right now their ammo has gone straight to crap, bought some Remington Thunderbolt 22 LR and one squibbed and destroyed the barrel in my wife's Walther P22, really screwed the barrel up like I've never seen.... Will never buy it again. I believe if this had been a larger caliber the gun would have blown up in her face...... Then I would have been very very pissed. Called Remington and they told me to send in the info from the box, lot number etc. and they would start a claim for me, I guess they want the rest of the ammo back to test it too but they are gonna pay the shipping and hazmat I sure am not, I want my money refunded and them to buy me a new barrel at the least.
How a squib ruin your barrel? Another round fired after the squib?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
How a squib ruin your barrel? Another round fired after the squib?
Yeah, she didn't realize the round didn't leave the barrel and fired a few more times, then realized she was hitting all over the target instead of center mass like she had been, stopped and asked me what was wrong, I watched her fire a few more rounds and they were going everywhere, I immediately stopped her and tore the gun down and found the destroyed barrel. That's why I said if it was a bigger caliber it would have blown up in her face since she didn't realize that one round never left the barrel.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2612 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 203

High pressure and an overly large firing pin hole in the bolt face. The primer "flowed" into the available space between the firing pin and the bolt face.

Remington and Federal primers tend to be softer (and more prone to this) than others.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #17

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Yeah, she didn't realize the round didn't leave the barrel and fired a few more times, then realized she was hitting all over the target instead of center mass like she had been, stopped and asked me what was wrong, I watched her fire a few more rounds and they were going everywhere, I immediately stopped her and tore the gun down and found the destroyed barrel. That's why I said if it was a bigger caliber it would have blown up in her face since she didn't realize that one round never left the barrel.
Man sorry to hear that. But it wasn't the squib that messed the bbl up. It was trying to shove it out with another bullet. I'd still be really pissed but I would take this lesson and never forget it. If it was a bigger caliber the gun would have been the least of your problems. Your wife couldhave been hurt very bad. We always have to pay very close attention to our weapons when shooting. A friend of mine was almost killed when he did that with a Kimber that went into grenade mode.

I'll agree the squib is a very big deal and you should get them to right the wrong and hopefully get the others in that lot returned (good luck in these ammo times). But part of the damaged pistol is the responsibility of the shooter. Even with it being a 22 your wife is extremely lucky that didn't end up much worse.

I don't use anything Remington anymore. It seems over the last few years everything with their name on it has not been near the standard that name used to adhere to.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Man sorry to hear that. But it wasn't the squib that messed the bbl up. It was trying to shove it out with another bullet. I'd still be really pissed but I would take this lesson and never forget it. If it was a bigger caliber the gun would have been the least of your problems. Your wife couldhave been hurt very bad. We always have to pay very close attention to our weapons when shooting. A friend of mine was almost killed when he did that with a Kimber that went into grenade mode.

I'll agree the squib is a very big deal and you should get them to right the wrong and hopefully get the others in that lot returned (good luck in these ammo times). But part of the damaged pistol is the responsibility of the shooter. Even with it being a 22 your wife is extremely lucky that didn't end up much worse.

I don't use anything Remington anymore. It seems over the last few years everything with their name on it has not been near the standard that name used to adhere to.
Oh yeah I fully agree with you and now my wife has learned a valuable lesson, she said looking back on it that one shot just didn't feel right but she doesn't have the experience with guns like I do and didn't realize she should have stopped. Now she knows tho and I am grateful it was just a .22. Even if they don't replace the barrel I don't care, **** it's 80 bucks for a new one no biggie, lesson learned for the misses, I would mostly just like that lot recalled and my money back for the ammo, if I get just that I will be happy. I am not going to sue or anything, hell it was a simple error, but point being their ammo has gone down hill in terms of quality.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #19

Another experience with Remington ammo recently, this past hunting season my buddy bought some remington 7 mag ammo I don't remember which type, he shot at a deer at about 400 yards.... the round dropped and hit the dirt at about 80 yards from us and I laughed at him and told him he sucked at shooting until he shot the next round and we watched it pop out of the barrel and land about 10 feet from us.... no more shooting that ammo, I tore it all down and made reloads instead using the same primers and bullets, just new powder and they shot fine after that.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #20

Liked 63 Times on 41 Posts

I shot 200 rounds of reloaded 9mm today. I had one do this to in my 92fs. It had a Remington primer in it to.