Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   How Do You Store Ammo? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/how-do-you-store-ammo-72084/)

PanBaccha 09-08-2012 08:37 PM

How Do You Store Ammo?

Do you store ammo in boxes, plastic ziploc bags, or loose in ammo cans?
How about shotgun shells ... loose or in boxes... in ammo cans?

ineverFTF 09-08-2012 08:40 PM

I store ammo in my guns magazines :p.

Usually i keep everything in the appropriate box.

drvsafe 09-08-2012 08:46 PM

Original boxes, in either those plastic cabelas dry boxes or ammo cans.

mrm14 09-08-2012 09:22 PM

I don't store my ammunition, I shoot the snot out of it then reload the spent brass then shoot the snot out of it again. I usually have less then 100 loaded rounds per claiber of ammunition at any given time.

Coyotenator 09-09-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvsafe (Post 933229)
Original boxes, in either those plastic cabelas dry boxes or ammo cans.

I do the same with a dessicant pack thrown in.

MrShotty 09-09-2012 03:58 AM

For 22 ammo (and 20ga), I put in a ziplock bag and throw them into an ammo can. Which I then make my own desiccant and put that into the ammo can. For 12ga ammo, I just neatly organize them into the ammo cans. Either the US military cans or MTM ammo cans. Both work good.

drvsafe 09-09-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coyotenator (Post 933631)
I do the same with a dessicant pack thrown in.

YES! I have one HUGE one in each dry box as well. One of them is about the size of a cream cheese sandwich. I think it came with our flat screen TV, LOL. :eek:

Chainfire 09-09-2012 01:36 PM

I store it in the boxes it came in, on shelves in a climate controlled space. Much of the ammo I buy in bulk comes in sealed cans that will be fresh fifty years after I am dead. The calibers I shoot a lot of gets rotated, except for shotgun shells. I have cases of shotgun shells left from the Y2K scare. I made the mistake of storing some of it in my barn that was not climate controlled, and it ruined a bunch of it. (I live in an area where 100% humidity and high temps are common)

I have .45 ACP that was produced during WWII that has been stored in the paper containers since 1941 and is still about 99% effective.

If you keep the ammo in a dry and reasonably cool place, and away from solvents, it is very forgiving.

locutus 09-09-2012 02:16 PM

I store in boxes, or loose in ammo cans, with dessicant packs and blue indicator tablets, in a dry basement.

Every 6 months, the cans are opened and the indicator tablets are examined. If they show any moisture, the dessicant packs are heated to 200 degrees and held for two hours, then re-inserted into the cans, and sealed. The rubber seals in the can lids are also examined. If the rubber seals show deterioration, the cans are sealed with a double wrap of duct tape.

A stick on label is placed on top of the can with the date after each examination.

dragunovsks 09-09-2012 03:01 PM

I store in the original boxes in military ammo cans, I prefer .50 cal ammo cans because they are managable, stackable and fit perfect on an old bookshelf next to my safe where I store my firearms stuff. I've got one for shotgun ammo, got a wide range of shells in it ranging from #8 shot to sabot slugs. Got another thats full of loose 7.62x54R for my M44. The last .50 cal can contains .45 cal for my 1911 and 5.56mm for my AR. Also recently got a .30 cal can and use it to store .22lr and a few boxes of .380 acp.