Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > how do you remove a stuck case from a die?...........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #41
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7727 Times on 4460 Posts
Likes Given: 9962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
It was operator error, and not lubing enough. It all started from a dumb mistake of not having the correct shell holder in the ram. (was a 44 magnum, but then quickly learned it wasn't the correct size when I went to down stroke the press, and felt a tug and then a quick release. The brass was stuck in the die, and the 44 shell holder pulled the edges off the casing.

Now here is where it gets messy

I didn't know they can get that stuck in there
and compiled with the not knowing that they make 'stuck case remover' kits, I proceeded to try and put some vice grips to the edge of the brass and twist it out. Nope. that didn't work at all. So I then began to twist, and crush the casing with the vice grips and tried my best to get it to slip out. Nope. So then I had this brilliant idea of removing the de-primer set screw, and pushing on it from above. Then using a hammer and a bolt 'made' the bottom of the case come off. but still no luck. Then I had this bright idea of using some needle nose pliers to get between the case wall and the die and tug it out, nope, that didn't work either, but i can tell you the brass is unusable now! lol

Right now I have the die and casing in the freezer to try that method. I replaced the 30-06 die with a brand new one and was hoping my dad would never know before I left Idaho. Nope, that didn't work either. As he asked me if everything was good, and I broke down and confessed.

Since it was packed away in my gear and I was in a hurry to get on the road, he left the salvage job to me.

That reminds me, any of you guys need anything fixed around the house?
Hell Anna, you operate like a dude! How many of us have done near exactly the same thing?
cropped-embarrassed_polar_bear_w1.jpg  

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 07-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
More like stress from having my father find out I ruined his die???
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
You underestimate a father's love!
No no no, I know exactly how much he loves his die's
Old 07-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #43

Liked 138 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My problem is 180 degrees from yours. I let my dad use my reloading press. He jammed a .223 case up a RCBS die and that's where it remains, stuck. No case bottom and can't get the decapper out because it comes out the top and you can't get it through the neck.

Dan308
www.dtknives.com

Old 07-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #44

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

With A stuck case remover...LOL we have all tried stupid things, Learning the hard way is some times the best was. I made my first stuck case remover like some one said with an old socket. Have since bought an RCBS remover but still have the one I made. Not sure it does not work better than the RCBS.

He Who Expects Nothing Won't Be Deceived!!!

Last edited by barnjoer; 07-07-2013 at 10:46 PM.